OS/2 performance tests

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by rs37, Apr 9, 2006.

1. rs37

rs37 Member

Where can I get some information about tests with different configurations? The best level of Fix Pak to run in Parallels. . Use or not use drivers like Daniela enhanced IDE driver?
    Thanks for any information.

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Every Fix Pak should work just fine. The most useful thing you can do is to install Parallels Tools. This will bring you better video performance & mouse responce speed. Kernel performance should be fine anyway.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It is not fully correct. There are no full Parallels Tools package for OS/2 guest - only mouse syncronization tool, but it doesn't affect guest performance.

To achive better performance of OS/2 guest you should install GENGRADD or Skytech SVGA videodriver. FixPack or disk driver is not very important as I remember - but anyway better use latest FixPacks and Daniela disk drivers.

4. rs37

rs37 Member

At the moment I'm evaluating OS/2 Warp 4 with PW 2.1 installed on WXP host. My question about Fix Packs is because I try to apply FP15, the last fix available,on my fresh installation and the result was a boot trap 0005 (DOSCALL1 generated).

I launch PW with my backuped *.hdd file and try FP5. One of the great features of virtual machines is the easy way to do HD backups! No more worry about archiving or doing backout of fix packs.

With FP5 OS/2 booted OK, but after a few tasks within WPS it halted. Only mouse pointer remain active. OS/2 opens the dialog to try to kill the process but without success. CTRL+ALT+INS is needed to reboot.

That is a big problem. Without a FP I can't use GENGRADD display driver and other limitations. With a real machine I will try to find sources of hardware conflicts, but what to do with virtual machines? Can hardware problems influence OS/2 VM's directly?

Thanks for any help.

5. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Try to install FixPack15 again. It works fine for me.