OS X 10.8.5 client hangs under Parallels 12.1.1 on macOS Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GerbenW, Jan 14, 2017.

1. GerbenW

GerbenW Member

First I thought OS X 10.8.5 on the VM could not handle being suspended or paused. The problem first appeared when I tried to awaken a suspended 10.8.5 client (I always shut down but a few weeks ago I forgot, so it was suspended). After coming out of suspension, I saw the OS X 10.8.5 login screen, but neither keyboard nor mouse gave any reaction. I also could not shutdown or restart via Parallels, the only thing that worked as a hard 'Stop'. By the way, what does "Reset" mean in the Action menu? I could not find anything about Actions in Parallels Help.

Anyway, I had booted OS X 10.8.5 again and it was working. I switched over to some other work in another VM (Windows), returned and:
    • Parallels reported the VM was Paused, but I never paused it
    • After 'un-pausing' the OS X 10.8.5 VM would not react to keyboard or mouse, or to a ping
    This is nasty, because every time I do a hard reset I run the risk of damaging the OS install. I've updated Parallels a short while ago, so now I am beginning to suspect Parallels. I've seen other threads with hanging OS X/macOS clients.

2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I must admit VM's being suspended seems to cause no end of problems.
    Decided a long time ago, it was better to let just the main system handle this. So setup every VM to have any form of 'suspend' disabled, and just let the primary OS handle this. Even there though, had to prevent the machine from switching off USB devices, where some don't like being put into a low power state. Have seen it where once the outer OS suspends, some USB devices don't wake up (seems worse the more recent the Mac OS...), this then causes problems for other devices on the USB bus. I'm wondering if something similar happened to you (I had a Sierra system, with a Mavericks VM, which after wake up lost it's mouse 'intermittently'). What was interesting, was that pulling a system report on the outer system, showed the mouse as missing here, suggesting that it is the host OS, which is having problems...