OS X Reboots when Installing Tools

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ender78, Jun 17, 2006.

1. ender78

ender78 Bit poster

I just attempted to install tools, while installing the Windows XP drivers, my entire machine rebooted.
    I assumed that there was some kind of protection. I have never had any other app crash OS X in this way. It looked as if Parallels was able to send an instand reboot command to my entire machine [A MacBook Pro]

I am running Release 1848

2. That sounds familiar to something that I had happen earlier. When you were installing the drivers, were you possibly focused outside of the actual install when you told it to reboot? I can't remember exactly how but that was my case, which for some reason passed the reboot on up the tree and eventually to OS X.

3. ender78

ender78 Bit poster

It is possible that the focus was outside the PD window. I am now trying to do the re-install, but the Installshield Directory which PD was using is corrupt. I was able to do a manual chkdsk and fix the corrupted directory. PD Tools installed correctly that time. I never got the reboot option the first time, I believe that my machine crashed during the first portion of the driver install. I never got past the first set of drivers being installed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  4. smknapp

smknapp Bit poster

The same thing happened to me. Created a working Windows XP Pro installation. Then when I went to install Parallel Tools, my Mac Mini rebooted. When trying to rerun Parallels with the same VM it would not boot Windows correctly. Luckily I had made a clone of it. I finally got it installed by connecting my USB keyboard and mouse and video directly to the Mac Mini. Previously I had them connected via a KVM switchbox. Are you connected through a switchbox?