Outlook 2007 File Corruption Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by williams.noah, Jun 20, 2007.

1. williams.noah

williams.noah Bit poster

Hello, I had been experiencing an issue where occasionally (under Parallels 2.5) Outlook 2007 (running on Vista Enterprise) would complain about its data file not being closed properly the last time Outlook exited. After upgrading to Parallels 3.0 this behavior happens every time I shutdown Outlook/Vista and restart.

In addition, I have had one instance where Vista had to make disk corrections on startup due to some corruption of the drive (this has only occurred once and only after I upgraded to Parallels 3.0).

In addition, I have had one instance where Outlook 2007's data file was so corrupted that it couldn't start and it was recommending I use SCANPST.EXE to repair. Given that the file in question was my offline folders file I simply deleted it and let Outlook rebuild it from scratch.

Has anyone else been seeing similar issues? I've been trying to wait longer and longer between when I shutdown Outlook 2007 and shutdown Vista - but that doesn't seem to be helping anymore under Parallels 3.0.

Thanks!

2. simplicity

simplicity Member

Do you keep your mail files (pst/ost) on a network drive?

Also, check task manager and see if the outlook process is there. If so, it hasn't shut down.

3. williams.noah

williams.noah Bit poster

Thank you for the response, answers below:

* No the mail files are stored locally on the Vista drive
    * I've been checking task manager and waiting for the Outlook.exe process to terminate before shutting down Vista - that doesn't seem to be helping anymore (it often did under Parallels 2.5)

Thanks again for the quick response!

4. valechox

valechox Junior Member

I ran into the same issue when using an Outlook 2003 *.pst data file with Outlook 2007. For at least 2 weeks I would receive the same warning as you describe.

It is simply that Outlook 2007 needs to verify the entire *.pst file before fully converting it its new data format. My file was >2gb so I never let Outlook 2007 run long enough in the vm to have it fully converted.

A simple fix is to run the scanpst.exe tool located in the same folder as the Outlook. Mine ran in about 35 minutes.

That will clear up your issue.

As you can see, this is not a Parallels issue. Just good 'ole MS.

Hope this helps.

5. simplicity

simplicity Member

I heard just a few min ago that there are 2 hotfixes coming out for Outlook 2007 and performance issues. Perhaps this might help? I'd check the support.microsoft.com website.

6. rgeraght

rgeraght Bit poster

7. spike13

spike13 Junior Member

This has happened to me on several occasions, same thing. And my mail is kept on the server. Even after I've run outlook for hours which would be long enough to scan anything it's supposed to scan. I definitely think there's something up with Parallels and outlook.

8. williams.noah

williams.noah Bit poster

I've narrowed the issue down to Microsoft's Office Communicator. Once I stopped loading that within Windows (and started using the Mac version of Microsoft's IM client) the problem went away. Just additional info for those still battling with this...