Outlook Attachments Not Opening

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Margaret1, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Margaret1

Margaret1 Bit poster

I've read through all the previous threads and tried several of their suggestions, but I'm still having issues. I'm running Parallels 9 (9.0.24251), Windows 7 (64-bit) and Yosemite (10.10.1). I use Microsoft Outlook (Windows) as my default email. For some reason, my attachments are no longer opening. I've checked the file extensions and the correct programs are selected.

Here is what happens when I try to open a docx file (should open with Word for Mac): I double click the attachment and it opens a blank document in Word for Mac. Same thing with pdf files (should open with Adobe Acrobat XI for Mac): I double click the attachment, it launches the recently opened Adobe file window. So in both instances it knows to select the correct program, but it's not displaying the content of the attachment. Stranger yet, it displays the content in preview mode in Outlook for Windows. The files contain information, because they can be saved to the desktop and opened fine.

Any suggestions?

2. JDAP

JDAP Bit poster

Same here for Excel 2011!! Parallels 9.0.24251 , Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, Yosemite 10.10.3
    As you described, files can be saved to the desktop then opened. The client is unwilling to use Excel for Windows.

Things I have tried:
    * clearing Outlook Temp folder [C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.Outlook\MWCMVZYG\ <--that last segment will be arbitrary/unique to your Windows environment

* StatPlus LE for Mac as a third party utility [strangely enough it does not offer a true "add-in" feature for Excel 2011 Version 14.5.4 (150722)

Any ideas out there please let us know!

3. BarryC1

BarryC1 Bit poster

This is a very old thread but I have a similar issue where when I try to open a Windows Excel 2016 file that is an enclosure in a Mac Mail message, Excel opens up to a blank window. IF on the other hand I save the attachment to my computer and then open it, it opens fine. It simply won't open in Windows Excel. Surprisingly enough it WILL OPEN INTO MAC Excel 2016 directly as an attachment, just not into Windows Excel.

Might anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @BarryC1, please follow the instructions mentioned below:
    1. Locate Parallels Shared Application folder in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    2. Delete that folder.
    3. Do the same for Parallels folder in %appdata%
    4. Uninstall Parallels Tools.
    5. Reboot and then reinstall Parallels Tools.
    6. Download a sample pdf file from Outlook and set default program as Adobe Acrobat.
    7. Restart virtual machine.
    If that does not work, you can try unchecking the Share Mac applications with Windows in virtual machine configuration (under Options->Applications), deleting those folders again and checking them back.