Parallel Tools kills mouse/keyboard functionality

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Tyrven, May 25, 2006.

1. Tyrven

Tyrven Bit poster

I just installed Parallel Tools on a new VM with a new setup of Windows XP Home on a six hour old Macbook Pro 15". Everything worked fine until I installed Parallel Tools.

During the Parallel Tools install the VM crashed (or perhaps just did a hard reset) and when it came back up neither the keyboard or the mouse work (the cursor disappears when I click in the console; mouse clicks or keyboard shortcuts don't register). Both function in BIOS/DOS screen; neither work in Safe Mode (or normal mode).

I suspect if I were able to uninstall (or possibly reinstall) Parallel Tools then I may be able to fix this. Unfortunately that's difficult without a mouse or a keyboard. Anyone know of a fix? Anyone know a way to uninstall/disable parallel tools from a DOS prompt? (Without having to export/edit/import the registry in DOS mode - ugh!).

I've tried enabling the prlMouse service in the Recovery Consel. I've also tried disabling the mou and kbd services in case they were interfering.

(I am running parallel Build 1832; all online updates have already been applied to OS X).

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  2. Tyrven

Tyrven Bit poster

I formatted the VM and reinstalled Windows XP; I was able to go through the full Parallel Tools install without problem this time and after the reboot I retained both mouse and keyboard support. This behavior may be a problem caused by the tools installation being interupted. This wasn't the fix I'd hoped for, but since it was a fresh install it wasn't a big issue.

Now back to the forums to see if there is a fix for constant blue screening of Windows XP. I mean, beyond the typical level ;-).

3. mattm

mattm Bit poster

this exact same thing happened to me. A new macbook pro, fully updated, with RC2. I had spend a number of hours getting windows installed and updated, and then apps installed.

I attempted to install the tools, and during the process the session bluescreened and restarted.

Now when windows starts up the keyboard and mouse can not be used.

This has me in a bind, as I am now on the road for a number of weeks and my windows install and App CDs and on the other side of the world in my office. Unfortunately, I need to do work in windows, and without a mouse or keyboard it is quite tricky ;)

Of note, I cannot even 'send keys' from the parallels toolbar. The session has now gone to windows screensaver, and no keys I 'send' bring it out

any ideas here?

4. Larry__Rymal

Larry__Rymal Member

Yuck, what an awful experience. I, too, had the same situation.

Fortunately for me, at the end of the day, I do a daily <cmd><d> duplicate of the .hdd file. Saved my hide. I didn't lose much but could have. Could be a good idea to save key documents to the shared folder so they aren't lost in case an image corrupts out.

5. devros

devros Bit poster

any new info on this? same thing just happened to me. i'd rather not have to reinstall XP.

thanks,

-dev

6. tdunc92

tdunc92 Bit poster

This also happened to me. I did a hard reset of WinXP (using PD's reset), and the keyboard and mouse came back after the reset.

Terry

7. AndrewWorx

AndrewWorx Bit poster

Did you install apps before tools?

Did you install any applications before installing Tools? The same thing happened to me, I installed XP, then Visio, then the tools, and that's when the USB stopped working. Did you all do that in the same order? I'm reinstalling XP now, and don't want to have the same problem again.

Andrew

8. soegaard

soegaard Bit poster

I have the same problem

Tried to install Parallel Tools. MacBookPro (brand new) restarted in the middle of the installation process. No applications was installed only XP Pro

Excuse my ignorance but how do I hard reset Windows XP?

JK

9. soegaard

soegaard Bit poster

I have tried PD's reset....

10. le.photon

le.photon Bit poster

Same problem here, on clean install WinXP SP2, however did Windows Update before trying to install the tools. Reinstalled 2x already and always the same happens. Could it be Windows Update related

Cheers,

M.

11. le.photon

le.photon Bit poster

Keyboard Mouse loss related to Win Update ?

Hi again,

just to let you know that I think the problem with the loss of keyboard and mouse is likely related to Windows Update. If you install a pristine version of XP and install the tools BEFORE running Windows update, everything works fine. If you run Windows Update before installing the tools, you get the symptoms we here experienced...

Hope that helps people get further...

Cheers,

Matthias

12. JimmyTheHuman

JimmyTheHuman Bit poster

same issue here

I have exactly the same issue. No mouse - although it does allow you to get the focus so you can use the keyboard, the mouse doesnt work. I ahve remote the parrallels mouse drive and can contionue to work, but with a crapola jumpy mouse cursor, not smoothed out.

We bought several licenses and cant use any. When can we expect a response from a support person with some form of an update?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006