Parallels 10 Dock Icon

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gernot Leitgab, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Henry_Gauthreaux

Henry_Gauthreaux Bit poster

I agree with the 100 previous posts. Give us an option to get rid of the unnecessary second icon, or get rid of it altogether. Thanks.

2. Vic_Jang

Vic_Jang Bit poster

I agree with the 101 previous posts.
    The icon is flawed. I'll give you reasons why they need to be removed.

1. It is confusing to have more than one icon. Especially when you are in the virtual machine window and want to get back to your other Mac app. If you happen to switch to the Parallels icon, you don't go anywhere and just stay there. This is seriously annoying and confusing.
    2. You gotta admit, most users run one virtual machine at a time. You need to give us the option to get rid of the OS icon and keep only the Parallels icon.
    3. It would have been acceptable if the OS icon is not flawed: when you cmd+tab to the OS icon, the switch has a lag. It delays for 1 second before switching to the windows.

Please give us the option to remove that OS icon AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

3. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi All,
    We have shared your feedback with our engineering team, and they have scheduled a fix for this. We anticipate that it will be out in the next few weeks, and will post here once it is available.
    Thank you for your comments! Though honest feedback, good or bad, we are able to provide better products and services to all members of the Parallels Community.

4. lucaseve

lucaseve Member

One more.
    No single icon on dock for every Virtual Machine. At least make it possible to enable or disable this questionable feature from the settings.
    Thank you!

5. Vic_Jang

Vic_Jang Bit poster

Thank you, @Andrew@Parallels, for your attention to this issue.
    I guess a hundred users complaint do pay off, hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  6. Vic_Jang

Vic_Jang Bit poster

While we eagerly wait for the developers to provide a fix, if you are bothered by the additional icon like me, you can try the following hack.
    http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/easy_mac_hacks_run_os_x_applications_without_their_dock_icon
    Use at your own risk. (The moderator prefers this to be included in a workaround like this.)

I tested it and it worked like a charm for me.
    Be sure to backup the plist and revert it before updating parallels fix, or it might give you some surprises.

Here's where you can find the .app for the virtual machine
    [​IMG]

7. Yeong_Dae

Yeong_Dae Bit poster

I am eagerly waiting for this 'FIX' that is promised.
    And I am very relieved to see that I wasn't the only one who was SOOO bothered by these redundant icons.
    Funny no one in Parallels has found it annoying when they were making it.

8. T.M.

T.M. Bit poster

Hello!

Still no fix for this? I bought the update long after the launch in August, and I still see that it's not updated as people requested.
    What is this? You just ignore us? You think that people pay you products and updates to see things changing all the time?
    Most of the people using parallels and other professional software like this are people that usually use the computer for professional jobs, like programming, electronics, telecommunications, database, CAD design and others. This people have jobs to do, not to fool around with icons, or whatever other stupid ideas has the team through their mind. Your 50% speed-up for start-up (but we know this is only advertisement) was just consumed on ways to see parallels shut down.

I hope to see a fix soon (and I know that is not a difficult task to do, so don't postpone this again until next year!).

Thank you!

9. Justin_Morabito

Justin_Morabito Bit poster

Agree with everyone. I only run one VM, but I have 6 icons, one for each program opened within that VM. Dumb setup. It is like junky Windows has leaked into OSX. Please fix.

10. Travis_Metcalf

Travis_Metcalf Bit poster

I like having the dock icon for the VM that is currently running. What I want to see is the ability to hide the Parallels Application Dock Icon in favor of having it in the menu bar.

11. chuckboucher

chuckboucher Junior Member

Just installed 10.1.2 (28859) and I still have a dock icon for the VM and one for Desktop and no option to exclude VM dock icon. So, a new update and no fix.

Thank you . . . NOT!

12. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Best Answer
    Hi All,
    A new build for Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac has just been released - build number 10.1.2 ( 28859 ).
    We are happy to inform you that your request for customizing icons in the Dock has been addressed in this build.
    Please update your Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac to the latest build by following http://kb.parallels.com/111603
    Update summary of Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac is available at http://kb.parallels.com/122720

13. Maheesh@Parallels

Hi Chuck,
    Please open Parallels Desktop .
    Click on Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> General -> Virtual Machine Dock Icons -> Choose : None from the drop down menu and check.

14. chuckboucher

chuckboucher Junior Member

Ohhhh, you hid it in the general preferences. I was looking in each VM's Configuration. Yay!

15. Markus_Müller

Markus_Müller Bit poster

Hmm. I can't chosse any of this options. They are hidden (grey)

16. Markus_Müller

Markus_Müller Bit poster

Oh. It works. But I don't know what I've done :Do_O

17. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Markus,
    Glad that your issue is fixed! Feel free to reach us anytime, we're here to help.

18. Matthew_Emmanuele

Matthew_Emmanuele Bit poster

It is greyed out for me as well, i cannot select any option for the doc icon.

I have quit and restarted both the app and the VM with no luck. Parallels Tools has been updated.

19. Maheesh@Parallels

Hi Matthew,
    Please plug in the power adapter/ charger to your Mac computer and then click on :
    Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> General -> Virtual Machine Dock Icons -> Choose : None from the drop down menu and check.

20. ZivHen

ZivHen Bit poster

Finally! Thank you so much Parallels Team! :)