Parallels 11 desktop: Chrome and QtCreator are flickering and showing window not correctly

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by WillRiker, Sep 26, 2015.

1. WillRiker

WillRiker Bit poster

Hi everybody,
    please have a look to the attached pictures, what i did was
    - fresh installation of ubuntu 14.04 with the parallels wizard
    - after installation the parallels tools where installed automatically
    - downloaded chrome .deb file and installed it manually with double click over the ubuntu software center, as user
    - installed Qt Enterprise with the online installer, as user

both installations where made to /opt, whereby the user is in root group and /opt is 775.
    I have a Mac Pro with 2x D700 and 3D enabled on this virtual machine. With a fresh installation and disabled 3D it works fine without any issue.

parallels.log shows following warnings
    09-26 11:11:33.236 I /prlcc:1769:1792/ Dynamic Resolution: Window Manager name 'Compiz'
    09-26 11:11:33.236 I /prlcc:1769:1792/ Dynamic Resolution: allow changing resolutions
    09-26 11:11:33.239 I /prlcc:1769:1792/ Dynamic Resolution: query screen modes via GDBus...
    09-26 11:11:33.239 W /prlcc:1769:1792/ Warning: Dynamic Resolution: can't execute GDBus method GetResources: GDBus.Error:eek:rg.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Mutter.DisplayConfig was not provided by any .service files
    09-26 11:11:33.239 W /prlcc:1769:1792/ Warning: Dynamic Resolution: disable GDBus usage

Starting chrome over bash shows following errors
    [13967:13967:0926/121121:ERROR:background_mode_manager_aura.cc(14)] Not implemented reached in virtual void BackgroundModeManager::EnableLaunchOnStartup(bool)
    [1:20:0926/121128:ERROR:gpu_channel_host.cc(225)] Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateOffscreenCommandBuffer.
    [1:20:0926/121128:ERROR:webgraphicscontext3d_command_buffer_impl.cc(229)] Failed to initialize command buffer.

output of dmesg is also attached to this thread. OpenGL seems to work fine, glxinfo shows:
    ~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    OpenGL vendor string: Parallels and ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Parallels using AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D700 OpenGL Engine
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 ATI-1.32.25
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. WillRiker

WillRiker Bit poster

for the chrome problem, i found this:
    https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=418858
    but for me "LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1" didn't work, I have to disable hardware acceleration in settings but this workaround might not help me real
    for the qtcreator problem, i found this:
    http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-faq.html
    this issues might be in their applications, nevertheless, if anyone would have an idea please share this with us. Both issues are related to the 3D functionality which parallels 11 is providing, it seems that this feature doesn't well tested in linux environment with OpenGL.
    thanks

3. ShahnawazS

ShahnawazS Junior Member

Experiencing the same problem ever since I've upgraded to 11. Never an issue on version 10.

4. BenR1

BenR1 Bit poster

I am having the same issue with Chrome having upgraded to version 11. I tried to turn off hardware acceleration in settings but when I do that I can no longer log in to the VM, when I put my password in on the log in screen the screen just goes blank and then brings me back to the login screen again.

5. ShahnawazS

ShahnawazS Junior Member

As a workaround with Chrome, under the advanced settings I have unchecked 'Use hardware acceleration when available', restarted Chrome and the browser displays correctly (this is mentioned in #2). I'm using Linux Mint 17.2.
    I've also noticed under Linux Mint of other parts of the system not displaying correctly, some not obvious and others where it is noticeable.
    Paralells11.png
    Also noticed that GNOME Shell doesn't work well at all now.
    Parallels Picture.png
    In both cases, moving the mouse around corrects the issues, but isn't very practical.
    Of lately Parallels 10 was a lot more stable for Linux support. Kind of regret having made the purchase of Parallels 11, but I'm sure (with time, and a lot of patience) this will get resolved (without impacting the battery performance improvements). Could have made the jump to Fusion 8, but I found the VMs running under Fusion 8 is just not as responsive and is slightly slower.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  6. ShahnawazS

ShahnawazS Junior Member

Version 11.0.2 (31348) is out now, and it looks like it has resolved the issues I've experienced with Chrome, Cinnamon and GNOME Shell. Thanks Parallels for fixing the issue.