Parallels 11 (Shared) Home Folder Disappears - Win8.1 Visual Studio 2013 IIS Express

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TS-Micah, Aug 21, 2015.

1. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Hey @AlekseyM I just wanted to check-in to see how any findings are going. I would guess the devs may be busy with El Capitan releasse less than two weeks away.

2. -__

-__ Bit poster

I just upgraded from parallels 9 to the Pro (1 year updates) version. Now I have to go back to my 9, because they couldn't give me a key to 10. Had 1 hour of remote desktop where they sent technical data, but I tried to explain to them that the home-folder is only inaccesible during compile.
    My way to reproduce problem:
    Start debug in visual studio
    While its compiling, try to open the home folder in the explorer. This will show content, until the iisexpress turns on and try to access the files. Then Home folder gets empty. This of course makes the iisexpress not find any dependecies/assemblys. As soon as the iisexpress is done or gives up, the home-folder is filled with content again.

A video of the problem:

AnthonyB2 likes this.
  3. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

*BUMP*

Will Parallels 10 Desktop support OS X El Capitan when it comes on on Sept 30? I can't really upgrade to PD 11 (and hence Win10) until this particular issue is resolved.

4. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

Yes - I'm running PD10 with El capitan

5. -__

-__ Bit poster

Workaround: As I need to be able to work, my temporary workaround is to stop sharing the document folder and run my project locally instead. Meaning moving my git and repository to the windows document folders. No more sharing project files between windows and mac, but since the IISExpress can be setup to host on computername i can access the site in debug mode from OSX Safari for example.

6. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

I don't know what you mean by that but it sounds good, could you explain?

7. Edelune

Edelune Bit poster

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  8. -__

-__ Bit poster

To serve external requests edit applicationhost.config file (located in %userprofile%\documents\iisexpress\config\) and change localhost to '*' or your machine name. To be able to run it now you need to change both iisexpress.exe and visual studio to run in admin mode. I just changed the exe's to "run in admin mode" in windows.

Then you might need to open some ports in your firewall (use cmd and exec the following two lines):

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="IISExpressWeb" dir=in protocol=tcp localport=12345 profile=private remoteip=localsubnet action=allow

netsh http add urlacl url=http://*:12345/ user=everyone
    (now, restart windows)

After this you should be able to replace localhost to your computer name, and still be able to run the site. If that works, then you could try accessing it from your mac. Look at this post if you run into problems http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...o-debugging-to-work-when-running-in-parallels

9. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Thanks!

10. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Though I prefer using the shared Documents folder, I could disable sharing the document folder as a workaround in a worst-case scenario. I use the shared Documents folder mainly to conserve storage use in addition to not having my code "trapped" within the VM.

11. PerS1

PerS1 Bit poster

Spent $49 to upgrade today, just to then waste the whole day figuring out why Visual studio can't find my files like it could before the upgrade... I will have to downgrade tomorrow to be able to keep working... Can I get my money back please?!

12. TornikeG

TornikeG Junior Member

There has been a fix posted in the following thread:
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads...e-empty-when-i-start-vs15.329361/#post-777608.

I am copying the answer by Parallels her as well just in case:

13. John-PaulS

John-PaulS Bit poster

I have just discovered the same issue but when using other software. I have PD11, Windows 10 & Yosemite 10.10.5. While running Solidworks 2015 on Parallels and saving multiple files at once, an error occurs and the links to the mac folders (Home, Documents etc) all disappear and the folders are empty - both in Solidworks "Save As" & file explorer.

A fix would be greatly appreciated!

14. TornikeG

TornikeG Junior Member

Parallels representative has explained the issue and they are already working on a fix. You can view the details in another thread (the one I posted above)

15. -__

-__ Bit poster

Ok. So the fix worked for about 2 days. Now its not working again. tried to reset the variable. Back to square one. Only way I can run VS Express projects is by keeping th e project files on the "PC" inside the VM.

16. TornikeG

TornikeG Junior Member

Try increasing the number. I've been using this fix for a while and had no problems.

17. -__

-__ Bit poster

Using 4096, and according to parallels it becomes unstable after that. Just hope the fix they are working on will solve this once and for all.

18. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Has this issue been addressed in the last update - 11.0.2 (31348)?

• Resolves an issue with shared folders being incompatible with Visual Studio projects

See: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123410

19. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

It fixes it for me :D

TS-Micah likes this.
  20. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

Thanks! I just upgraded and confirmed the issue is resolved for me in version 11.0.2 (31348).