Parallels 12 > lost ownership of shared Mac folders and files in Windows VM?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TheodK, Nov 11, 2017.

1. TheodK

TheodK Member

Can anyone please tell me if the following is a bug or a known "feature" for Parallels 12?

After upgrading OSX to High Sierra shared folders and files in for instance drive Z: (Mac home folder) lose the right ownership in Windows. For instance: the Security tab is gone in Windows folder and file properties and the Hidden checkmark will not "stick" when trying to hide or show a file or folder in Windows. This happens in all Windows VMs (7, 8.1 and 10 Fall Creators Update).

Please let me know how this can happen and how to solve the problem. I already tried re-installing Parallel tools. And files and folders within the VM behave as normal.

Thank you,

Theo de Kreijger

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @TheodK , please help us with the screenshots , we will check and assist you.

3. TheodK

TheodK Member

Hello Arun,
    Look at these screenshots:
    Missing security tab.jpg
    The text.txt files are identical except: one resides on Y: (shared folder called "Windows" on Mac) and one resides on the VM's desktop (Windows 10 - latest update). Within the VM you'll notice a Security tab which is absent in the file properties on the external drive. I have no idea why ...
    Unable to apply hidden.jpg I can checkmark the hidden attribute, but when I hit Apply then OK and return to this Properties window the hidden attribute is de-activated again. So I can not change the hidden attribute on drive Y: (shared folder called "Windows" on Mac).
    The weird thing is that I can edit files and save them without any problems.
    Any suggestions?
    Theo

4. TheodK

TheodK Member

Forget about this problem: I have upgraded to Parallels 13 and the bug with being unable to hide files on mappen drives to Mac OSX folders has disappeared. These files still do not have Security tabs in their properties. But that's not an issue anymore to me.

5. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @TheodK Thanks for the update, glad to know it is resolved.