Parallels 12: MacOS apps cannot access .dot folders in Windows guest anymore

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Waldgeist, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Bit poster

In my Windows 10 guest, I have a folder that contains a Git repository. So it contains a .git sub-folder. In Parallels 11, it was no problem to work with this Git repository with a git client (SourceTree) located on the MacOS host. But after the upgrade to Parallels 12, the git client complains that the folder isn't a Git repository any more. It also does not show up as a Git repository in my editor (Atom). It seems as if MacOS apps cannot see the .git folder anymore. In the MacOS finder, it is visible, but not for a Mac app. Any ideas how to fix that?

2. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Bit poster

Thanks for your reply. Actually, with Parallels 12, I installed these Tools for the very first time. So it should not be an upgrade issue. Accessing these .dot folders inside the VM works, and the Mac Finder sees them, too. But they seem to be invisible to other Mac apps.

One funny thing in addition: SourceTree seems to see the folder for a short time, but then (after 1 sec or so) suddenly says that the folder is no .git repository. It seems as if the .git folder content magically disappears after that time. Atom won't recognize it as a Git repository at all.

Up to Parallels 11, the very same VM worked fine.

Unfortunately, I cannot downgrade since my license key was used too often, since the LogicBoard of my MacBook had to be exchanged three times, and I had a lot of MacOS re-installs, too, due to that problem. That was the main reason why I took the chance to upgrade to 12 using the Black Friday offer. Is it possible to reset the license counter if I contact your support team? In this case, I could cross-check.