Parallels 13.3.3 and Win 10 Pro - VERY slow shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Sealoozie, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

About a month ago, after a Widows update, it takes Windows well over a minute to shut down.
    Can anyone provide any tips to try?
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello Sealoozie, Let us ensure that Parallels Tools are properly installed. Please follow http://bit.ly/1jbXVsI to install Parallels Tools. If you see reinstall or update Parallels Tools then kindly reinstall it.

3. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Thank you AJ! I have successfully reinstalled the toolbox, but the long Windows shutdown persists. I put a stopwatch on it and it takes 1 minute 56 seconds, FYI.
    Anything else to try?
    Sea Loozie

4. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Parallels Toolbox is different and Parallels Tools is different, kindly start the virtual machine and go to the top menu bar, click on Actions--> Reinstall Parallels Tools. May I also know how much RAM memory allocated to the Windows virtual machine?

5. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Re: TOOLS: My error, AJ. I have now installed TOOLS.
    Re: RAM: I have 4GB allocated
    My problem remains unchanged. What's next?
    Sea Loozie

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Sealoozie, we would request you to take a Snapshot and to see how your virtual machine performs on shutting down with fast startup enabled, you can enable it in just a few steps:

1. Start the Windows 10 virtual machine and right-click the Start button.
    2. Click Search.
    3. Type Control Panel and hit Enter on your keyboard.
    4. Click Power Options.
    5. Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    6. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    7. Click Turn on fast startup (recommended).
    8. Click Save changes.
    If you want to disable fast startup at any point, simply repeat the steps so a checkmark appears next to Turn off fast startup.

7. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Hi Paul:
    Thanks for the "step by step" instructions - very much appreciated for this novice!
    Went through the steps and found "Turn on Fast Startup" was already checked. Not sure what screen shot you needed?
    Sea Loozie

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @Sealoozie, Snapshots is a saved state. Please make launching the Windows virtual machine faster some services were disabled:
    in Windows CMD+R > msconfig > services > checked the checkbox Hide Microsoft services

9. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Thanks again, Paul, However after doing as you instruct, no change. Any other suggestions?

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @Sealoozie, can you please check your system.log for errors in the Console (Applications/Utilities/Console). Type "i/o" (without quotes) at Console's search bar and check if you can see "I/O error"?

11. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Thanks again, Paul. I did as instructed, the i/o command showed no error. What's next?
    Sea Loozie

12. StefanG9

StefanG9 Bit poster

In my case, turn off fast startup solved the shutdown problem. As well the command "shutdown -s -f -t 00"

13. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Finally, at least in my case, the solution became;
    1. Uninstall Parallels 14
    2. Reinstall parallels 14
    3. Accept Parallels offer to reinstall Windows 10.
    4. Reinstall all my Win Apps
    All told the process took about 15 hours of screen time, but the problem was solved.

14. StefanG9

StefanG9 Bit poster

Same problem, different way? My shut down issue came with the change from Win 10 1703 to 1709, and so I think about the hyberfil.sys.