Parallels 13 Pro missing special keyboard characters

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MartinO2, Aug 23, 2017.

1. MartinO2

MartinO2 Bit poster

I've just updated from Parallels 12 to Paralles 13 Pro and immediately noticed that some special characters have become "°".
    I'm using Czech keyboard and when I try to type special characters using Shift + character I'm getting "°" most of the time.

Any help, please?

RetoH likes this.
  2. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I don't know, but they have fiddled with something here.
    I use an extended keyboard. I've got half a dozen keys now, that are seen as the same character. Thought "I'll use keyboard layout creator, and fix this", but it is giving several of them as having the same scan code, so they can't be re-allocated. They are running OK as separate keys in the Mac....
    They were working, it seems they are restricting some of the scan codes passed to the Windows driver...

3. RetoH

RetoH Bit poster

Same here, something is broken. [ is not working on my windows keyboard anymore... Pls fix it.

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @MartinO2, can you please send us a technical report right after trying to type special characters? (via Help menu > Send Technical Data...)
    Please post the report ID here.

5. Dmitry@Parallels

@RogerH6, please give me more details on the keyboard layout you are using. If you can also send a technical report (via Help menu > Send Technical Data...) and post the report ID here, that would help a lot.

6. MartinO2

MartinO2 Bit poster

Here is the report ID: 207182088

7. KonstantinO

KonstantinO Parallels Developers

Thank you for the report.
    But can you say what keyboard layout used in the guest exactly ?

8. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

What is happening, is that the keyboard is being identified in Windows as 'Standard PS/2 keyboard'. Previously, mine was reported as an HID 106 key keyboard (and Japanese keyboards are normally also reported as 106 key keyboards), so the extra scan codes are not being handled by the Windows driver. If I use a keyboard scan code reader, all the extra keys are being seen as returning the same scan code, so the Windows key drivers and mappers can't access them...
    So it is happening the layer 'below' the actual keyboard layout handling.

9. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

10. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

No.
    Even with the keyboard forced to Japanese, it still returns the same scan code for all the extended keys VK_OEM_8.

I've even tried re-mapping them using the shortcut ability In the parallels settings. It gives me different options for each key, but inside Windows, all behave the same.

11. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I had previously forced the driver in Windows to be the one for my keyboard (though it reported it could not verify this was the correct device, it accepted this). Now it doesn't. I suspect it is probably Creators update having tightened up security in this area, but it didn't stop working till PD13 was put on, when Windows decided the keyboard had been changed, and now won't accept the device override....

12. ParkviewC

ParkviewC Bit poster

We're having the same issue: the letter "P" won't type (either upper or lower case) and no functions involving the key work either. It's like the "p" key went on vacation. It's not the keyboard: we've tried a BT wireless and a wired Apple keyboard... and they both work within the OS X environment just fine, but neither work in Windows. Worked fine yesterday, but nothing today.

13. Dmitry@Parallels

@RogerH6, thank you very much for your thorough investigation.
    Guys, we have localized the problem and will fix it soon.
    The workaround is to set host keyboard layout to US (ABC or U.S.).

14. MartinO2

MartinO2 Bit poster

Mac is set to Czech (QWERTZ) and Windows layout is also Czech (QWERTZ)

15. Bastian

Bastian Bit poster

I do also experience Keybaord weirdness:
    PD13, Windows 10 as guest, Keyboard set to German Apple (Parallels) with English display language in guest

When I set the guest keyboard and verify the ability to type @ and \ it works without any issue. Once I switch focus away from PD/Windows app (which is running in coherence or windowed, doesn´t matter) to a Mac app and then back to that Windows app, I cannot type these characters anymore and get some ASCII characters.
    Switching guest keyboard to English US seem to work around this issue, but is not really what I was looking for.
    This stuff worked in PD12 and earlier.
    VERY annoying... Looking forward to see a fix.

NunoS3 likes this.
  16. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

Parallels have fundamentally changed something behind the scenes in the way the keyboard data is passed to the Windows OS with PD13.
    I have a keyboard with several extra keys. This is setup in the Mac using custom Ukulele mappings so I can switch languages for code development.
    I can also remap this inside Windows for the language I want.
    With PD13, this no longer works. What is interesting is that if you run a keylogger application, the extended keys are all being passed through to Windows as using the same keycode.
    Now they have asked me to generate a problem report, then install PD12, and generate another in this. No way I have the time to do this.
    Just hope they work out what they have b**&&*red with this release soon. :(

17. Luis7

Luis7 Bit poster

Does this problem still exists today?

I can't get my Keys to work. ¡"¶¢[]|{}≠¿ all of these don't work with my native laptop keyboard in the Windows virtual machine.