Parallels 14 and Mojave - seems to slow the host machine and VM locks repeatedly

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by LesterM1, Oct 23, 2018.

1. LesterM1

LesterM1 Bit poster

Tech Report 281290525

- Updated to Mojave earlier this week, and today updated to P14.
    - previously stable Win10 VM, is now consistently locking up. It seems to be related to drawing windows or resizing windows. I can 100% reproduce the lock by opening a single explorer window, and resizing it randomly for a second or two, and it will lock like you see in the tech report above. Host shows P14 process cranking on my CPU usage. CPU usage never relents, and the vm never "catches up".

I don't have any virus scanning on the host.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @LesterM1 , please follow the steps suggested in the article and check if that helps.

3. LesterM1

LesterM1 Bit poster

If I am reading that right, the steps recommended are... "Use the recommended settings", and debug your faulty windows install. I did check that my vm is using 2 cpu (recommended), and 2GB ram (recommended). I have been reading other threads here about graphics hangs in windows 10 and so I reviewed my graphics settings. They were set to 512MB, previously and so I changed them to "Auto" and restarted the VM... the lock seems to have been gone. So the I set the graphics memory back to 512 to see if that is my issue, and confirmed that with my setup, that settings is leading to my win 10 vm to lock up. Simply by launching the vm, launching a single explorer window, and erratically resizing it for a couple of seconds. I am currently running with graphics set to Auto and haven't managed to lock it up a single time yet this morning.

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @LesterM1, it might occur due to the incorrect Host permission. Can you please shut down Windows virtual machine properly, quit Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac, reboot your Mac into Recovery mode, run First Aid, restart your Mac back to the normal mode and then start Parallels Desktop to check if that works.

5. LesterM1

LesterM1 Bit poster

Been through that already. If I set GPU memory to 512, the vm locks. If I set it to "auto" it runs fine. Verified that today.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @LesterM1, if your eGPU device works fine in macOS, Parallels Desktop will use the available graphics resources to increase virtual machine video performance. Follow the instructions in this article to get it to work.

7. LesterM1

LesterM1 Bit poster

I don't have an eGPU, just my little ole mac mini that has been running this VM for years without issue, mojave upgrade and p14 upgrade, and everything became unstable. The GPU ram setting was the fix for my setup. I use the word "fix" loosely. There are MANY other threads on the forums about graphics locks and crashes that might be related.

8. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @LesterM1, could you please go to Help menu of Parallels Desktop application and send us the technical data report via Send Technical Data... menu item? Then, post the number here. We will check this internally and help!

9. LesterM1

LesterM1 Bit poster

Tech Report is in the first post.

10. AdaptiveP

AdaptiveP Bit poster

@LesterM1 Thank you for posting your solution to this issue. It has been driving me crazy for several weeks and setting the graphic settings to Auto solved the constant locking up for me.