Parallels 15, Catalina, and eGPU

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AraboB, Sep 2, 2019.

1. AraboB

AraboB Bit poster

Hello,

I am wondering about the configuration for the allocated graphics in the configure menus. I have an eGPU with an AMD Vega 64 (8GB Video Memory) currently working properly on the latest Beta of Catalina with my 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro 2.7Ghz i7. In the configuration menus, under the Graphics tab, I can set the memory from automatic up to 2GB. If it's set to automatic, would it go up to the available 8GB of video memory from my Vega 64? I tried playing some games through the Xbox app and the performance was terrible (Dead Rising 4). It seemed like it was barely using the Vega 64. I tried a couple other games through steam and they seem to be running OK on the highest settings, (Portal 2, Rocksmith). I tried running Apex legends and it also was performing very poorly.

I currently have parallels, my bootcamp VM, and all of the individual programs preferring the eGPU through macOS, and I can tell they are being processes on my eGPU, I just haven't seen it be utilized anywhere near 8GB or video ram yet. The fans on the Vega 64 don't even kick on. I'm just wondering the best configuration with using Parallels 15 to play games.

Other settings I have enabled: Configured for Games only on the General tab, I run in full screen, Hardware > Processors 8, memory- set to 12288 MB (maximum recommended, although I have 16GB in total), Resolution - best for external displays (I have a 1080p monitor hooked up directly into my eGPU). I should also mention that I am unable to get my Vega 64 usable through Bootcamp because of the infamous error 12 - thats why I am so excited to get Parallels 15 working for my PC gaming until its supported in Bootcamp.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Hi @AraboB , check this KB article in order to enable eGPU in VM and let us know if it's not that case, we will be glad to help.

3. AraboB

AraboB Bit poster

Hello Maria,

Thank you for your response. I have the eGPU enabled already, I previously followed all instructions on how to enable it. It works within parallels, my question is my about limits with using it. I can only use about half of the graphic capacity of my eGPU. When I look at a usage chart, it's mostly using around 2.5G of video memory when the device can go up to 8, and the games aren't running as well because of this. Do you know if there is a way I can "unlock" the potential of my eGPU?

Thank you!

4. AraboB

AraboB Bit poster

Hello, Please see my response on the thread, Thank you!

5. Could you please share with us the screenshot of your usage chart? Also the tech report created after the issue reproduced will be helpful. Please post the tech report's ID here.
    And sorry for the delay in response.

6. AraboB

AraboB Bit poster

Hello Maria.
    Tech Report ID: 323953068

I ran some benchmarks while running windows through parallels and then running on my Mac so you can see the drastic difference in performance. Also please note that when in parallels, it only says 2GB of VRAM is even able to be used when you look at the GPU model in the benchmark. It seems like the Parallels display adapter can only use up to 2048MB.

I originally wrote in this forum because I wanted to know if there were some settings or configurations which can allow me to use my full GPU. The more I look into this, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.

Please have a look at the attached benchmarks and let me know if there is anything I can try to raise the limit of the GPU.

Thank you!
    Arabo

Attached Files:

7. crispinh

crispinh Bit poster

did you ever get an answer arabo?

8. Thank you for your reply and detailed info.
    We will investigate it further and get back to you soon.

9. Hi, do you have the same issue?

10. AraboB

AraboB Bit poster

Hi there,

No I never got an answer. I have given up on this and just purchased an Nvidia card which is was plug and play for me in bootcamp, so I don't have to deal with the limits of Parallels.