Parallels 17 (Pro) Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KristianS1, Aug 11, 2021.

1. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

@WesleyP1 Ahh, I'm still on the Intel i9.

Is the Windows VM in the Parallels configured to use a x64 processor by chance? I believe that there are now ARM editions of Windows 11, though, I don't know how broad the reach is just yet for applications & drivers, etc. (This reminds of of the days of Windows XP x64). Windows 11 does have support for Qualcomm's Snapdragon processors and it would appear that Microsoft is getting in on the ARM game as well. Here's the ARM processor support list for Windows 11.

If it is, could installing Rosetta2 help?
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta
    (Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...-on-new-apple-silicon-m1-macs-to/ba-p/2087631)
    Or it may not, it kinda feels like shooting arrows at a target in the night while blindfolded.

I wonder what, if any, overlap may be between the ARM spec, Apple M1 procs and Qualcomm SnapDragon procs. Could an ARM edition of WIndows 11 run fairly well on a M1 Mac using Apple's Hypervisor in Parallels? That said, if it does, I believe you may be limited on what applications you can run - Microsoft may have x64/x86 emulation on ARM, but it may require virtualization. That said, I've been asking for Parallels to support nested virtualization with Apple's hypervisor as I had received official word from Apple developers that it does and it's a limitation of Parallels - frustrating nonetheless...

2. WesleyP1

WesleyP1 Bit poster

Parallels cannot run through rosetta2, the only way to run it on m1 mac's is natively with arm win11. This parallels article has more info if you are curious https://kb.parallels.com/125343. Appreciate the help though!

3. SirCodesALot

SirCodesALot Member

@WesleyP1, Thanks for sharing that link! That's interesting to me, makes me think about the move to ARM processors. Somehow though, Docker for Mac is able to run x64 Linux images on M1/ARM procs.

4. OmarK2

OmarK2 Bit poster

So many people are complaining about this same issue. I have even reached out to support about it. Nothing is being done about it. I have Parallels on two laptops with the latest everything and I have the same popping and stuttering sound on both.