Parallels 18.3 made impossible to work on my Ventura virtual machine

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DavidS111, May 17, 2023.

1. DavidS111

DavidS111 Bit poster

The processor in the virtual machine is 100% all the time and the Activity monitor reports core audio is consuming all resources. I have tried to reinstall parallels tools many times and it does not bring the CPU down. I had to disable microphone and audio output. Still 100% usage on processor.

2. RichardD30

RichardD30 Member

We are getting the same, CPU is hitting 200% at times. It looks like there are issues with the perfmon.

3. RichardD30

RichardD30 Member

Receiving a million entries like this in `parallels.logs` for various vms:

upload_2023-5-22_18-51-26.png

Attached Files:

4. Stephen Grall

Stephen Grall Bit poster

Same here, Richard. I opened a case with Parallels support, ID 4112514. I haven't replied yet as the information in my initial ticket was clear, but support seems utterly clueless and asked a canned set of questions mostly answered in the original request. My last interaction with them was extremely frustrating. If my interaction this time goes poor again, I'll likely go back to VMware Fusion. While Parallels is faster when it works, I didn't have these kind of issues with VMware.

RichardD30 likes this.
  5. Stephen Grall

Stephen Grall Bit poster

One more thing to my last reply: This happens with ALL macOS VMs, any macOS guest major release. It is not specific to Ventura. I have not tested on Apple Silicon, only on Intel.

6. RichardD30

RichardD30 Member

Ironically enough, 18.3 is working great on our arm clusters right now. I have started setting `sysctl kern` limits to throttle the CPU a bit but that process runs endlessly. A co-worker forgot about it and checked when I reported the bug, the file was 64GB!

It seems to be an issue with intel perf mon. Experiencing the same issues with support right now...

7. RichardD30

RichardD30 Member

8. Aydaskhan Asochakov

Aydaskhan Asochakov Staff Member

Greetings Stephen,
    Your case has been escalated to the Second Line of Parallels Support.
    We will contact you shortly.
    Stay tuned.

9. LaneW1

LaneW1 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issues. I had to downgrade my Parallels version.

10. TimoteoV

TimoteoV Bit poster

I am exactly the same thing with one of my Ventura VM's. My parallels.log file is over 20gig in size and growing while it running. Not really usable.
    Is there a link to downgrade to 18.2 of Parallels? I only find 18.3.

11. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

We reported this issue to the development team.

They are working on a fix for this issue.

As a workaround, we advise you to install Parallels Desktop 18.2:

1. Uninstall Parallels Desktop 18.3 as described in the article: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124255

2. Download and install Parallels Desktop 18.2 : https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v18/18.2.0-53488/ParallelsDesktop-18.2.0-53488.dmg

Note: When running the Parallels Desktop 18.2 installer, you will be prompted to update to 18.3 (which is the latest one). Please close that window, and then click "No, user current" to proceed with installing version 18.2 Once installed, it should activate automatically, using the license associated with your Parallels account.

I advise you to subscribe to https://kb.parallels.com/129060 (click 'Get updates') to get updates about the new fixes.

12. RolfW3

RolfW3 Bit poster

Hi there,
    I also faced massive slowdown and CPU overloads since the update of Macbook 2018 Intel 6-Core i7 to Ventura 13.4 (2,6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 , 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4).
    Since I tried many performance improvements tips and this was still acceptable for my work, I was waiting for the latest updates.
    At least there were times were slowdown was acceptable and phases with slowdown inacceptable, where the first was winning.
    Now, it seems to get much worse and I cannot even work anymore, I'm thinking of purchasing an ew PC, to get a fresh start.
    If I understand Parallels 18.3.1 update right, this should have finally fixed these issues, or am I wrong ?
    • Fixes an issue of CPU overload when running macOS virtual machines on some Intel-based Mac computers
    I need to work with this machine soon, running 1-2 Windows VMs on it ( Win 10 and Win 11 ).
    Would you recommend to downgrade to Parallels 18.2 in my case too, or is 18.3.1 the right choice ?
    I have not re-installed Parallels completely yet, do you think this could be a solution ?
    From my point of view, this is a new installation still, nothing specific was changed.
    Please help, I need to get rid of this 100% CPU load without much action in the VM.

13. Pavel Merkulov

Hello,

Parallels Desktop 18.3.1 has fixed the issue of CPU overload on a mac with an Intel processor. Several users have already reported positive feedback.

We recommend that you install the latest version of Parallels Desktop.

14. RolfW3

RolfW3 Bit poster

Yes I did that, it also "feels" a bit better, but has the phases were it is unusable.
    I think the basic issue is from Ventura, since the whole system is much slower than before.
    What I recognize is, that after reboot, it might take quite a while until thinks settle.
    Then after, it is still slow, but at least "usable" to some kind.
    I used VmWare before and changed to Parallels, in the hope its doing better, but its not really any difference.
    The host Macos is mainly clean, since I'm not working much there, only inside the VM's.
    I'm using 18.3.1 right now, do you think a complete uninstall and re-install will make a difference ?

I have a 2TB SSD, with about 350GB free space, when I look into the system/settings/memory, it shows 2.5TB occupied ( red bargraph ),this is the only unusual behavior I
    can see, but all other tools show the free SSD memory right.
    There were cases where high load could be because of swapping the hard drive, but I think this should be not the case here.
    Since I only use with Parallels desktop and not on any macOS app, I cannot really say if this behavior is also there for any other Mac app.
    If you have any clues what else my go wrong to eat so much CPU, or if I could test something else, please let me know.

15. DavidS111

DavidS111 Bit poster

I concur. 18.3.1 is an improvement but it is not a full solution. I am going back to 18.2. Parallels is eating 200% on my CPU and I am just downloading a file in Safari in the macOS guest.

16. Pavel Merkulov

You have a ticket created in technical support. Further investigation of the issue you encountered will continue within the ticket.

17. Pavel Merkulov

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:

0. Update Parallels Desktop to 18.3.1

1. Reproduce the issue.

2. Collect a technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide its 9-digit ID here.

18. RolfW3

RolfW3 Bit poster

Hello Pavel,
    yes I did already and ended a report, with two ID's, one for the latest, updated 18.3.1 version, and
    another report after re-installed Ventura from maintenance mode.
    Both situations show the same load, making productive work impossible.
    Currently I'm moving to a brand new windows machine, to get out of this rabbit hole.
    If I have any insights from the support team, I let you know here too, but I'm afraid there is not much I can do now, just waiting for another update.

19. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

18.3.0 and 18.3.1 seem to have both have issues. 18.3.0's issues are noted above, and 18.3.1 for me caused a Ventura VM guest (on a Ventura host) to fail to but (stuck midway through boot). I had to force Stop the boot, and after retrying the boot, Parallels itself did nothing, and the Beach Ball spun for hours. I Force Quit, re-started Parallels, and nothing but Beach Ball. It would no longer start.

Uninstalled 18.3.1, reinstalled 18.2, and now Parallels and my VMs are working again.

20. RichardW33

RichardW33 Bit poster

Same issue here with 18.3.1

Reinstalled 18.2 now working again.