Parallels 19: resolution stuck at 1024x768

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AndersW1, Sep 5, 2023.

1. AndersW1

AndersW1 Bit poster

Im stuck with resolution 1024x786. It seems like pararells can't find any display drivers? When in display setting in windows, the option for changing the resolution is grayed out at 1024x768. In Parallels control center I use the option "best for Retina" (but have tried the other options as well)

Paralles 19 PRO, Version 19.0.0 (54570)
    Mac OSX Ventura 19.0.0

2. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello!
    In order to proceed with further investigation, kindly provide us with the below information:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.
    Thank you!

3. AndersW1

AndersW1 Bit poster

Thanks!
    I have gone through the steps and also responded to your email. This is the report ID: 435525600. I hope to get it fixed quickly since it is impossible to work with Parallels now.

4. RobertT19

RobertT19 Bit poster

@AndersW1 I am having the same issue. Were you able to get a resolution on this?
    Thanks in advance!

5. RyanC16

RyanC16 Bit poster

Any resolution to this? I'm still having this issue

6. RyanC16

RyanC16 Bit poster

Figured it out. Hopefully someone finds this useful.
    1. In the VM window, on the top right is the 'Devices' list
    2. Click on the CD icon and select mount image
    3. It should bring up a sub folder within the main Parallels app called "Tools"
    4. Select pre-tools-mac.iso for intel or pro-tools-mac-arm.iso if you're on M1/M2
    5. This will mount a drive within the VM called Parallel Tools
    6. Run through the installing providing passwords when requested
    7. Restart
    8. Go into displays and you should be able to select resolution

Zamir likes this.
  7. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Doesn't the "Install Parallels Tools..." or the "Update Parallels Tools..." menu item in the "Actions" menu do this?

8. NancyP5

NancyP5 Bit poster

It seems like the issue is related to Parallels Tools or the virtual machine's hardware recognition. Start by installing/updating Parallels Tools, ensuring your macOS and Parallels Desktop are up to date, and adjusting the resolution settings in Windows.