Parallels 3.0 can I get 64MB video RAM?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by markwilson, Jul 13, 2007.

1. markwilson

markwilson Bit poster

I've been reading these forums and keep finding posts that suggest Parallels 3.0 will support video RAM above 64MB. I don't need 3D graphics but I do want to watch live TV in my Windows Media Center in my Vista Boot Camp partition via Parallels. For that I need 64MB of Video RAM. Please can someone tell me if:

1. Is this possible in Parallels Desktop 3.0? (Certainly the default is lower than this because the error messages I get in Vista tell me to get a graphics adapter with at least 64MB of Video RAM)
    2. Assuming yes, how can I increase the available video RAM to 64MB?
    Thanks, Mark
    http://www.markwilson.co.uk/blog/

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

You can go up to 64 mb (it's the max;). Start parallels, click in configuration and go to memory. There you have the settings.

3. markwilson

markwilson Bit poster

Thanks for replying to my idiot question! I was sure there was an option somewhere (the slider used to top out at 32) but I couldn't remember where the option was.

4. landmark

landmark Bit poster

Mark,

though you can adjust the virtual graphics card memory up to 64 MB, you won't be able to use the Media Center Application. When trying, you'll end up with a message saying that the graphics card is not supported.

Maybe it's a minor change for the parallels folks to do since MCE is based on DirectX 8.1, but will prevent you and me from watching TV for now.

Edit: grammar and spelling (non-native English speaker)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007