This is really starting to bug me, quite disappointed at the lack of actual support here from parallels, will definitely be considering switching to VMWare Fusion for future versions.
Firstly to anyone reading this from fresh, I'll recap my situation and provide some technical details.
I have Parallels 4.0.3810 working fine with a Windows XP Bootcamp Partition. I have an NTFS partition on a MBR partition scheme formatted external Firewire 800 disk. On this disk there is only one other partition, which is HFS+. When using bootcamp the partition is mounted by windows. I want to add the NTFS partition on the external drive to parallels so it is mounted in windows.
Diskutil list:
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *232.9 Gi disk0
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Nick's Mac 206.9 Gi disk0s2
3: Microsoft Basic Data .Windows 25.7 Gi disk0s3
/dev/disk1
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk1
1: Apple_HFS Media 415.9 Gi disk1s1
2: Windows_NTFS .Windows extended 49.9 Gi disk1s2
By reading around on the forums I've managed to pick up a few things about manually editing the configuration, which in a truly backwards step seems to be considerably harder than in Parallels 3.0.
So while some have been able to manually edit the DiskDescriptor.xml for the one disk with two bootcamp partitions on, I've not been able to figure out how I could do the same for two partitions on different disks. Also I don't know how to get the partition inspector from rEFIt to look at the external drive instead of the internal only.
What I've thought so far:
1. Duplicate and rename the existing hard drive .hdd package for the external drive
2. Reference it in config.pvs
3. Edit DiskDescriptor.xml accordingly
What I'm unsure about is all the .hdd/.hds files inside the .hdd package, and how these would be created for the external drive. Any ideas?