[Parallels 4 + Ubuntu 8.10] Some displaying errors - some freezes

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by lukeoldboy, Nov 25, 2008.

1. lukeoldboy

lukeoldboy Bit poster

I would report an annoying behavior I get with parallels tools, on ubuntu 8.10 with PD 4 on a macbook (1G) with leopard.
    Now, I've upgraded permanently to Parallels 4 (build 3540), and I've also upgraded Ubuntu. (The battery status now works... :D)
    But: with the parallels tools installed , the gnome-system-monitor window shows up badly (just give a look to s1.png, attached to this post).
    Also gnome-do (the quicksilver look-alike tool) has the same weird behavior. But disabling the "prlvideo" driver in xorg.conf, I can get rid of this; but now I'm trying this driver, because using the standard driver provided by ubuntu, I've again the old freeze issue (after a while, ubuntu freezes; I can move the cursor, but nothing works). I don't know if prlvideo could fix the freeze, only the time will tell.

Hope this stuff could be useful as feedback for you...

Regards

Attached Files:

• s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
  2. mbelov

mbelov Bit poster

lukeoldboy, the picture is too small, it's hard to say what is wrong with it. Anyway, please create a ticket at https://www.parallels.com/support/desktop/ with the problem description, we will look into it.

3. lukeoldboy

lukeoldboy Bit poster

4. disciple

disciple Parallels Team

Hello lukeoldboy.

Thank you for your feedback!
    Yes, we have reproduced and investigated the issue with corrupted picture. It seems that you colour depth is equal to 24 bit... If so now we are fixing it! And as a workaround i could suggest to set DefaultDepth option in "xorg.conf" to 16 bit. E.g.

Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 16
    EndSection

5. lukeoldboy

lukeoldboy Bit poster

Yes, my xorg.conf had the default depth set to 24 bit; setting it to 16 bit, the windows are shown correctly (although the grey gradient of the windows header isn't smooth as it was with 24 bit depth, but this is obvious). It seems we've hit the point. So, waiting for the bugfix... :D

Regards