Parallels 5.0 & eComStation 2.0

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Brian Hughes, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Bit poster

I have installed eComStation 2.0 as a guest operating system using Parallels 5.0 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (latest release). It is working except for USB support. The VM detects the USB controller(s) and when I insert a USB thumb drive it displays the dialog asking where the USB device should be attached and I choose the VM. If I then select Devices->USB, from the menu the device will show up with a check mark (i.e. Sandisk Cruzer) however eComStation never detects it. When eComStation does detect a USB device a dialog box will be displayed indicating the device has been attached as Drive X (i.e. Drive D:). This does not appear.

1. Does Parallels 5.0 offically support eComStation 2.0? I know the install scripts for the mouse synchronization (REXX) are written for eComStation 1.1 and 1.2 installations not for 2.0. Maybe that is part of the problem with USB support. Does anyone know what USB drivers that the VM is looking for in CONFIG.SYS. (i.e. USBD.SYS or CWUSB.SYS).

2. Will Parallels 6.0 support eComStation 2.0?

Thanks

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Did you attach the USB thumb directly to a USB port on the computer?

3. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Bit poster

Yes I inserted a thumb drive directly into a USB port on a MacBook Pro.

I have been using eComStation 2.0 on Parallels 5.0 and it works fairly well except for the following.

1. The CD/DVD player contents are only updated in eComStation if you shutdown the VM. In other words, if I have a CD/DVD or an *.iso inserted I can access the contents. If I remove a CD/DVD and insert another one the file structure displayed is still for the CD/DVD that was present when the VN was started. If I shutdown and start the VM again then eCDomStation will display the contents of the new CD. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the CD/DVD from the Parallels menu while the VM was running but it did not help the situation.

2. You can not shutdown, stop or reboot eComStation. The virtual machine will always hang and it must be killed through the Mac OS X Activity Monitor application.

3. The Parallels Tools Mouse Synchronization program does not work with eComStation 2.0.

Thanks

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Does eComStation have an eject command that you can use before inserting a new CD/DVD?

5. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Bit poster

eComStation does have an eject command on the context menu for the CD/DVD properties. I will try that to see if it makes any difference. Typically you do not need to use it. You can insert/remove CD/DVD as you would floppy disks in eComStation.

I did try various other things trying to get USB support to work but nothing worked. When I choose Device->USB->Sandisk Cruzer from the VM menu the icon disappears from the Mac OS X desktop like you would expect since it is now assigned to the VM but eComStation never detects it. I ran LVM /REDISCOVERPRM which causes the Logical Volume Manager to mount a Partitioned Removable Device if present but again nothing shows up.

Thanks

6. Brian Hughes

Brian Hughes Bit poster

I tried the eject command and it did not help. At this point I would have to say that Parallels does not support eComStation 2.0 to an extent where it is usable. It will load the OS but no support for CD/DVD's or USB devices, a complete hang when the OS is shutdown. That is all I have seen thus far and I have no interest at this point in pursuing it further. Possibly in the future it may be officially supported.

7. mmika

mmika Pro

Hello Brian Hughes.
    I've installed eCS 2.0 rc 1 and checked it with PD5 build 5.0.9200 and PD6.
    After that I've checked dvd changing within eCS. It works fine for both versions.
    I checked changing of iso images and physical media.
    I do not know what USB state for eCS, but from virtual DVD side all is going right.
    Please attach your USB physical drive as DVD drive, not as USB device.
    You can choose it through menu item Devices->CD/DVD 1->Real CD/DVD-> your USB drive.
    If it does not work in this case, please choose "report a problem" and write it's id number here.

8. MrDon

MrDon Bit poster

As noted in my other thread, I have been running ECS 20GA for some time without any issues tother than inadequate base resources in the 2007 mini I was using.

Now that I have upgraded to an iMac with the I7 processor and 4 GB ram, ECS really rocks as does my XPSP3 vm.

Don