Parallels 5 Video Memory and Multiple Monitors

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by kitesurf, Nov 4, 2009.

1. kitesurf

kitesurf Junior Member

Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz
    4GB RAM
    256Mb Video Ram
    Snow Leopard
    Macbook screen @ 1920x1200 resolution
    1 x external monitor @ 1920x1080 resolution
    1 x USB external monitor @ 1280x1024 resolution

I have been using Parallels Version 4 to run Windows XP with the above configuration in coherence mode without any issues. I can move windows across both external monitors as well the Macbook screen.

In version 5 however, when I try and switch to coherence mode, it tells me, "The amount of video memory set for this virtual machine is too low. Increase the amount and try again.

I have allocated 256Mb of video memory to the VM (the maximum possible). I have also allocated 2GB of system RAM. I have also turned off 3G acceleration. It makes no difference though, coherence mode is not possible with it on or off.

If I unplug either of the external monitors, I can then go into coherence mode.

So obviously the issue here is the external monitors and virtualising the additional screen estate.

What is frustrating is that this worked fine in version 4 with the exact same setup, but now in version 5 this is not possible. Surely the same should be possible in version 5?

Anyone else having the same issue?

I am reluctant to reduce the resolution of any of the displays as this will degrade text quality since each monitor has it's own native resolution.

Thanks
    Phil

2. serv

serv Forum Maven

hey kitesurf,

can you please check the amount of video memory reported by our Windows video driver.
    Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, then click Advanced on the Settings tab, then select Adapter tab and look for Adapter Information. How much memory is in there?

3. kitesurf

kitesurf Junior Member

Hi Serv,

Here are the details of the virtual adapter:

Adapter type: Parallels Video Adapter
    Chip Type: Virtual Adapter
    DAC Type: Intergrated RAMDAC
    Memory Size: 256 MB

Thanks
    Phil

4. beta_wbienek

beta_wbienek Junior Member

Parallels 5 video

I have the exact same problem. same issue w/ tons (256mb) allocated.. w/ multiple monitors.. i only need 1 monitor to work w/ coherence, but no joy w/ any settings.. coherence wont work. It did in ver4 though. In windows 7 you cant right click the desktop for 'properties' that option isn't there.

I did go to the driver for generic non-pnp and parallels display adamptor..

it says

Total avail graphics memory 511 mb
    dedicated video memory 256mb
    system video memory 0mb
    shared system memory 255mb

5. kitesurf

kitesurf Junior Member

I have also tried the same thing in Windows 7 which reports the following in it's display adapter:

Total Available Graphics Memory: 511MB
    Dedicated Video Memory: 256MB
    System Video Memory: 0 MB
    Shared System Memory: 255MB

Not sure where it's getting 511MB from as my Macbook is definitely only 256MB.

Thanks again
    Phil

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

guys,

Thanks for the info.
    511Mb in Windows 7 is correct, it's simply the sum of video memory and system memory that may be used for video data.
    Would you please generate problem reports via Parallels Help menu when your VMs are running and post your report IDs here.

7. daniel millikan

daniel millikan Bit poster

USB Video Drivers dont work

I had the same problem, but when i disconnected my usb video adapter (tritton usb) it works. The problem is the usb adapter's memory, not the mac.

8. kitesurf

kitesurf Junior Member

Hi Serv, report id is 727460

Thanks again!

9. beta_wbienek

How do you generate a 'problem report'? Can you list the steps?

.. on a side note!! GUYS!! GOOD JOB ON THE RESOURCES THIS THING USES!! ITS AWESOME!!

I have the dual (quad) xeon 3.0ghz (from a few years ago) .. been running windows in VM w/ parallels since 2.0 and all versions of fusion.. this is the first time w/ any of them that my 4 procs basically 'SLEEP'!! Great job!!! (even though I have to run the VM in a window since I have a multi monitor setup and you cant go into coherence unless you use only 1 monitor)

10. serv

serv Forum Maven

wbienek,

To generate a problem report open 'Help' in Parallels menu and click 'Report a Problem'. Fill in the details in a window that opens and wait for report submission to complete, you'll get a notice with your report ID.

11. beta_wbienek

Ok.. Thats what it was.. I had a USB video dealio.. ilke this..
    http://sewelldirect.com/USB-to-DVI-External-Video-Card-High-Resolution.asp
    (not this exact one, but when I disconnected it.. and restarted parallels... it goes into coherence ;) I have another video card (a real one) that Ill just use.. no biggie.. Im just glad I can get coherence to work as it REALLY helps my work flow!

12. kitesurf

kitesurf Junior Member

To add information to this thread. I have a monitor running at 1920x1080 plugged into the DVI port of my macbook as well as a USB monitor running at 1280x1024. I can get coherence mode to work when either of these monitors are plugged in but not at the same time.

I really must echo wbienek's comments on how well this version of parallels performs. It beats any other VM software I've used on a Mac by a long margin. I had really high hopes for Fusion 3 but it's been released too early and is rife with performance issues.

Parallels 5 on the other hand feels mature, stable and well presented.

13. serv

serv Forum Maven

We're tracking this issue internaly as #456230.

14. NetworkO

NetworkO Bit poster

Mac Pro, 8 Proc, 10GB RAM4 monitors, 2 Video cards, 256MB RAM Video

Mac Pro, 8 Proc, 10GB RAM4 monitors, 2 Video cards, 256MB RAM Video

In Parallels 4 on leopard I was able to run Coherence mode accross my 4 monitors without issue.

Now with Parallels 5 on the same exact machine the None of my window instances will use Coherence.

This has severely limited my workstation as I need both MAC and Windows to get my job done.

Any idea when this will be corrected?

T

15. vaporland

vaporland Junior Member

Id # 739503

I also have the "increase memory" message in PD5 under XPSP3, worked ok in PD4. Using multiple Gefen USB-DVI adapters (four displays on Mac Book Pro - one built in, one plugged into DVI and two plugged into USB-DVI adapters. I am using v1.5b4 (the latest) of the Gefen USB-DVI adapter driver software for Mac, and Snow Leopard 10.6.1

I do love PD5, was beta testing and will buy the upgrade when this bug is fixed...

16. Michael Matrix

Michael Matrix Bit poster

I am experiencing this issue with PD5 as well, when using a USB video adapter (a Diamond BVU160, DisplayLink) I cannot switch to coherence mode no matter how much video memory I set. This problem did not exist with Parallels 4. Full-screen and windowed modes work correctly however with the USB adapter connected.

17. Greg Werker

Greg Werker Bit poster

I am also experiencing the same issue, and it also worked with Parallels 4 / XP. Here's my system info:

Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz
    4GB RAM
    256Mb Video Ram
    Snow Leopard
    PD 5 w/Windows 7 Professional
    Macbook screen @ 1440x900 resolution
    1 x external monitor @ 1680x1050 resolution
    1 x USB external monitor @ 1680x1050 resolution

18. David Milam

David Milam Bit poster

Any update on a patch for this issue?

Thanks,
    David

19. Scott Morgan

Scott Morgan Bit poster

I have the same issue with MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard, Parallels 5 with Windows 7 using an usb video card.

20. beta_wbienek

Is it possible to run coherence JUST on one (the main) monitor? This would be a sufficient solution for me.. If so, how would I do that?