Parallels 5, Windows 7 and networking

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hmolen, Nov 22, 2009.

1. hmolen

hmolen Member

Hi,

Installed a new VM with Windows7 and I have a question about Networking.
    It tells me on the right bottom side in the taskbar of Windows that I have no Internet access.
    When I click on the troubleshooter it gives me a graphical presentation of the network:

Home Computer ----- Network ----X----- Internet

When I click on the X then it tells me (after 2 minutes of Detecting.....) to check if my cables are attached, etc. the well-known Windows Troubleshooter Blackhole, nothing new here.
    However, as you can see I am writing this message using this new setup and have great connectivity to the Internet so I am puzzled what Win7/Parallels experts can tell me how to solve this annoying icon :)

It is not a problem just annoying to see the network icon with the "!" in it that should not be there.
    or....
    Is this just another "feature" of Win7 together with Parallels.
    One thought is that Win7 does not recognize the Virtual Network Interfaces of Parallels....

Thanks for an answer.
    Hans.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Unfortunately, most likely there is an issue with Kaspersky 2009.. we are waiting for an update to fix it

3. Andre Matos

Andre Matos Bit poster

It seems that using Kaspersky version 2010 this issue was resolved. However Parallels includes only the version 2009.

Can we expect that this issue will be solved with a free update?

4. hmolen

hmolen Member

Sounds like a well known issue then but it is not destructive so I do not worry to much about it.
    Would like to have it fixed in the short term to get rid of the annoying "!" in the network icon.
    No rush, I assume/expect that this will be a free upgrade to Par5 owners ?
    Thanks.
    Hans.

5. Don Marrow

Don Marrow Bit poster

No network in Win 7

Can someone tell me how to fix this - I loaded parallels 5 w/Win 7 and have no Internet???

6. Andre Matos

Andre Matos Bit poster

Although I have a message saying "Network - No Internet Access", my internet & network is working fine. I am able to access many web sites.

The other message bugging me is regarding the Parallels Internet Security and the Windows Security Center format no longer supported. Please see attached screenshot.

I was testing using the Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and I noticed that the issue regarding the Windows Security Center is resolved but time to time I get the Network alert message.

Attached Files:

7. I-che

I-che Pro

Don, mostly installing Parallels Tools helps (Virtual Machine menu > Install Parallels Tools). If Tools are already isntall, you can remove them from Programs & Features list, restart Windows and load them from Virtual Machine menu.

8. hmolen

hmolen Member

I reinstalled Parallels Tools but I still get Kaspersky 2009 (version 8.0.0.506) and have the same error message.
    What else can I do to get Kaspersky 2010 ?
    H.

9. Greg Werker

Greg Werker Bit poster

I had to uninstall Kaspersky as well as Parallels Tools, and then reinstall Parallels Tools, to fix this problem. That seems to have worked. (I'm now using a different antivirus package, though it would be nice to be able to use the one included with Parallels Desktop 5.)

10. Pazuzu

Pazuzu Junior Member

I'm having the same problem; a false positive that there is no Internet access - but of course there is. I've attempted to reinstall the Parallel tools but that had no affect. From this thread, it would appear the issue is with the 'Parallels Security' tools. Will there be an update to that soon? This is mostly just annoying but it would be nice to have this error message corrected.

11. Sean C

Sean C Bit poster

This problem still exists. I have no internet access from within my Win7 VM on MacOS (SnowLeopard) Parallels Desktop 5.

should I return it for a refund (as it is not fit for purpose)?

I've done all the uninstalls, reinstalls etc. I did have momentary access which was great but I shutdown and when I restarted access was lost.

Anyone from Parallels care to give a recommendation??? Or simply tell me how to get a refund and I'll move to VMware which works.

12. MartinU

MartinU Bit poster

Network adapter settings - probable solution to misleading connectivity

Hi, I also had the same problem regarding connection to the Windows Home Network, but apparently no connection to the internet, even though, I could browse the internet using Windows IE, quite strange. But this also meant that none of the local IP network addresses could resolve themselves, eg, 192.168.x.xxx through the network.

My solution was to do the following:

1. Opened the Parallels virtual machine from the Applications folder
    2. Logged into the virtual machine
    3. Clicked on the icon in Windows 7, at the bottom right, stating "Network no internet access" to view the network basic information.
    4. From the 'Parallels Desktop' menubar (on the Apple Desktop), selected "Devices -> Network Adapter 1 -> Bridged Networking - Airport"
    5. Wait a few seconds for Parallels to adjust the Windows network settings, and the connection should connect with no errors.

Note, if you do not use Airport, then try the other bridged network settings.

Just wanted to share this info with you.

13. Asparagus

Asparagus Bit poster

I have a similar problem, while I have net access, that's all I have. In network settings I don't see any networked pcs until I choose bridge connection, even then I can't enter a computer I get an error.

I can however select the media device underneath which plays any mp3s in the media device, but as for file access nothing. I have 3 other pcs that all connect to each other fine but via parallels nothing.

The network settings just say Internet access and not Internet and local access but microsoft and parallel support so far suggest nothing to assist.