Parallels 6 on Mountain Lion - Supported?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DJRumpy, Jul 13, 2012.

1. PlautoD

PlautoD Bit poster

Does anybody know how to get Parallels Desktop 6 dmg installer? I need to reinstall it on my machine but it seems not to have the installer available on Parallels site...

2. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

3. NickK++

NickK++ Bit poster

Hmm, just revisiting to see if anything has changed. Quite shocked to see that P8 is out..

Anyway - as you can see from my profile on the side I've been using this since P3, disappointing but time to go elsewhere.

Take care folks.

4. NickK++

NickK++ Bit poster

Seems to be something odd with the forums - as I have to use a different user name now.. This was my previous post - account originally setup on the forums in 2008. Licences for P3,P4 and P6.

5. Zeus777

Zeus777 Bit poster

did you ever get a response to your questions? I did the same thing now i'm not sure if i can find my Windows CD to reinstall it. I can still see all my Apps for parallel 6. please advise thanks!

6. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Forum name

Hi NickK - we have not made any changes, do you by chance have two different email addresses that you may have signed up with or registered your products with?

7. 1SILL1

1SILL1 Bit poster

Hello,

today I updated to Mountain lion only to discover that my Parallels 6 does not work here. What a surprise. I use this software almost 2 years now and I never cross my mind that it wont work on ML. I was kinda ready to upgrade, but 50 dollars, wow. So I started google some solution and discovered this topic. I was amused by argumentation of Parallels team and I see now its time to move from this firm. Today when everybody should value every customer they do this. I just wanted to use this software on new, not that big, version of Mac OS, but "tough luck." I still hope for Parallels to come to its senses, but money is the reason that we wont be happy I am afraid. I just wanted to express my feeling about this. Feel free to delete my comment.

Bye

8. RenataG

RenataG Bit poster

This also happenned to me yesterday and I´m so angry with Parallels!!! It´s ridiculous to be forced to pay 50 dollars for an upgrade and I wish I had never bought this product in the first place! I´ll sure move on a different product and will never recommend Parallels to anyone, this is such a dirty policy! I payed almost a 100 dollars for a product that worked for me a little bit more than a year ONLY. It´s ridiculous. You just lost a costumer and I´ll make sure that every other MAC owner I know hear about your rip off! So maybe you´ll loose more than just one. I´m SO ANGRY!!

9. WelbyA

WelbyA Bit poster

Ridiculous

Same story as everyone else! i've read through all this post pages, parallels 6 owner are being ignored!
    This is the reason why people don't buy a legit product!

10. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi WelbyA,

Though out the life cycle of Parallels 6 (2 years since release), customers have been offered the opportunity to upgrade to Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac. The day Mountain Lion was released, we immediately enacted our Tech Guarantee which allowed customers on versions 5 AND 6 to upgrade to 7, with a no-charge upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac when it was released on September 4th, 2012. This was a change in our Tech Guarantee from previous years to cover customers from the date of the release from Apple. This ensured that customers on both versions 5 and 6 would not only be compatible with Mountain Lion but also receive the next version, 8, when it was released at not additional cost.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  11. WelbyA

WelbyA Bit poster

Hi Chris,

With all do respect, i've never received such an offer or update notification from Parallel Desktop 6.
    If you will be kind enough to give me and the rest of us a clear url/instruction where we can get such upgrade, that would be really helpful. Because i've been browsing these 18 pages of threads and find nothing that can help me make Parallel Desktop 6 to work.

12. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Sure thing:

www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012

This is where a clear outline of the Tech Guarantee program was posted the day of Mountain Lion release. There are also to other forum thread regarding the Tech Guarantee and release of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac.

At this time, we are not longer selling Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac on our website but the Tech Guarantee is still in place for customers who purchase 7 from an authorized re-seller such as Apple, Amazon, BestBuy or NewEgg, just to name a few. Once you purchase, you can submit a copy of the receipt on the online form on the Tech Guarantee page listed above. Once approved, you will receive your no-charge key by email from Parallels.

Hope this helps.

Chris

13. WelbyA

WelbyA Bit poster

What about Parallel Desktop 6 owner with the purchased box?
    Who didn't get the update notice for Parallel Desktop 7?
    So do not have a Parallel Desktop 7 but a Parallel Desktop 6 invoice?

14. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

If you still purchase an upgrade to 7 from any authorized re-seller, you will automatically get 8, if you file for the upgrade request at the online form. Customers had to purchase 7 during the Tech Guarantee to receive the no-charge 8 upgrade key.

Customers who have registered their product with Parallels should have received an email from Parallels announcing the Tech Guarantee and upcoming information on 8. When registering, you had to opt-in to receive such emails.
    Additionally, the In-Product Notifications announcing the same was deployed back in August so when starting up your Parallels software, a pop-up notification is built into the product with the same/similar messaging.

15. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy Bit poster

Parallels - Never Again

I have never made a comment or post on any thread in my life, but I couldn't let this one get away.

I purchased this product a year and a half ago. Never have I ever owned a software product where the developer drops support like this and forces customers to pay. After I submit this reply I'm going into the company I purchased my computers from and going to explain this situation. I'm hoping they drop your product line from their multiple stores throughout western Canada.

You would think after seeing how many people are upset at this situation that your company would jump in. Apple realized they screwed up on their new mapping program release in iOS6. They jumped on it and apologized. They even released a recommended list of other mapping applications made by other companies. You should be taking notes by now...

16. Chris@Parallels

Chris@Parallels Hunter

Hi CanadianGuy,

Thank you for adding your comments to our Forum. To address the question/comment in your posting, Parallels did address the question of customers upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion though our Tech Guarantee. This allowed for customers on Parallels Desktop 6 to upgrade to 7 and then receive a no-charge upgrade to Parallels Desktop 8 when it was released on September 4, 2010. (see www.parallels.com/techguarantee2012) This is in essence a double upgrade for customers on Parallels Desktop 6. The Tech Guarantee is in place until the end of October.

With the release of Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, we announced the EOL policy for Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac, but version 6 will still have customer support options for customers running that version.

Chris

17. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy Bit poster

Hi Chris, Thank you for your quick reply. Can you please tell me where I can go to be updated to at least a version that works with Mountain Lion?

18. alain243

alain243 Bit poster

Hi Chris, just to make it clear, my colleagues and I won't pay even a single cent to be able to use your products we legally bought. We already understood, if we pay 50 dollars for 7, we'll get 8 for free, but we already pay way too much for this solution, we won't pay anymore, because we just cannot trust your policy.
    Only a fix to 6 or a no-charge upgrade to 7 would solve this problem. As long as it stays like this, we'll stay angry customers and ensure that people know what they do when they buy your softwares.

19. CanadianGuy

CanadianGuy Bit poster

This company is obviously too big to care about the few who have been affected.... Update the few and you've gained clients for life. Are the board of directors aware they are turning away business like this? Is it possible to get Birger, Jim or Jack's email addresses because this forum is obviously getting ready, willing and able clients no where...

20. ThomasBee

ThomasBee Bit poster

spending so much money is no option in my case

Hi Parallels,

I use parallels desktop 6 only for one windows-only program (a language-trainig program which I bought years ago). I use it every couple of months for a few days when I feel like it.

It's sad to learn, that it won't start up now with Mountain Lion running. Well, paying so much money for such an infrequent use of an uncritical program simply isn't an option for me. Loosing me as a customer may not be such a big deal for you (I've owned only two versions of Parallels), but in the past I've convinced some "switchers" to the mac (beeing a mac-evangelist :)) of your software-solution, because it was a great product worth its price. But now the situation looks different.

I find such a high price not justifiable, especially for upgraders!: the growing mac-user base should leverage your incomes (economies of scale) to a point where the software update can be deployed at 10-20$ max. In that way you would get at least SOME money from people like me, for whom your product is nice but not necessary (and hence not worth so much money). Now you get ZERO from me and the ones like me - which is of course less…

Especially since there is a free alternative for our basic needs: virtual box. It might not be quite as nice but considering the costs-to-use quotient, it is much more feasible in the described scenario.

What stays is a bitter after-taste: having spend so much money for buying and upgrading Parallels and using it only a couple of times makes this program one of the most expansive programs I have ever owned.

Auf wiedersehen,

Thomas