Parallels 8 Freeze OSX 10.8 Retina MBP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DrSkywalker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. YanaYana

YanaYana

Does it happen only when PD is running?

2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Bit poster

I'm having the freezing issue as well. It happens when I'm in fullscreen mode, and the display goes to sleep. When I hit the keyboard/mouse, the screen wakes up, but the beachball is spinning, and I can't do anything but a hard shutdown.

3. DrSkywalker

DrSkywalker Member

Yes only with PD.
    Same experience as Huckleberry. My impression is that is happens when I have a couple of processes happening in the background, and am busy swiping between windows in Win 7 and Mac OS X 10.8.1 (and 2 now as well). I'm jumping around and then.... gak!

4. DrSkywalker

DrSkywalker Member

I think I can say with some veracity that if I do a 4-finger swipe in full screen mode while a process is running (spinning wheel type of thing), Parallels can almost predictably freeze and require a hard restart of the computer

5. DrSkywalker

DrSkywalker Member

Further information: the freeze seems to always be related to the 4 finger gesture to bring up Mission Control

6. Breakout

Breakout Bit poster

10.7.5 Lockup, too!

OS X 10.7.5 PD8 lockup several times a day. Had it into Apple for full diag. No hardware issues. PD7 never had a problem. Debating and if possible to return to PD7 without losing the VM's? Thought to update to OS X ML but if problem persists PD7 won't run on ML, correct? And it would seem OS X ML has the problem, too, given this other feedback on the forum. How close are you to identifying the problem and providing a fix? Can I go back to PD7 easily and without loss? Will PD7 work with 10.7.5 well?

7. DrSkywalker

DrSkywalker Member

It's becoming more obvious with time and usage - Parallels 8 doesn't like the 4 finger Mission Control swipe. If you do it a couple of times quickly, it will tend to freeze the Windows screen and you can't do anything than a hard reboot. It especially will do it if there is a process running for a Windows application (when the circle is spinning and the machine is busy "thinking").

8. YanaYana

YanaYana

Can you please reproduce the issue and send the problem report from Help menu --> Report a problem, post the report ID here please

9. YanaYana

YanaYana

pd7 will work with Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8 - both. PD 8 works with both either. So you can downgrade to PD 7 and try to upgrade to Mac OS 10.8 - all your data will be kept safe

10. DrSkywalker

DrSkywalker Member

Already did that. See ID previously posted in this thread 17976470

11. YanaYana

YanaYana

Thank you for the report

12. MRJames

MRJames Junior Member

I am having the same problem

I have a macbook pro 2012 retina model, basically brand new( bought it a few months ago). With Parallels 7 I never had a freeze that I can remember. Ever since i installed Parallels 8 a few days ago I have been having the computer freeze a dozen times a day. I have all the updates, and I have my VM set to the recommended settings.

Has anyone found a resolution for this issue?

When it freezes, if I go out of Coherance all my applications work fine, but when I go back into coherence I get the same problems. Many times it happens when I switch between applications in Coherance (i.e. click on a PDF then click on my Outlook again.

Can anyone Help please??

My parallels error report ID is 20725943

Thanks so much.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  13. LouisK2

LouisK2 Bit poster

My mouse freezes on the bottom toolbar of Parallels. i touched the Retina MacPro on/off key and the mouse is released

14. RobbertH

RobbertH Bit poster

This issue happens to often on my mbp retina. I'm having the issue with w8 and w2012 and i think it hasn't encountered with w7. As i'm currently developing on w2012 this crashes are productivity killers and stop me from using parallels. Parallels is my primary choice but this crashes are fatal.

15. LarsBlumberg

LarsBlumberg Bit poster

Same problem on MacBook Air 2011, latest PD8, Win7. Using Full-Screen-Mode and 4-Finger-Swipe, too.

16. SpencerB

SpencerB Bit poster

Getting lockups as well ever since "upgrading" to PD8 from v7....really wishing I hadn't done this now, have lost hours of work with each lockup.

Have sent a problem report, log #22640522

Can somebody from Parallels have a look please, it's driving me nuts (btw, no 4-finger swipes for me, or use of Mission Control, just simple PD in fullscreen mode and hot corners to switch between OSX and Win7 Pro)

Thanks
    Spencer.

17. JCGIshman

JCGIshman Bit poster

same here, MBP with retina, locks up all the time. its getting old fast. sent a report in. anyone have any resolution to this? i am sick of rebooting every day.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  18. SallyQ

SallyQ Bit poster

I am getting the same issue. MBP Retina, top spec's. My VM, Win 8, 4096 RAM, 1024 Video RAM. Editing MS Excel spreadsheet, causes my computer to lock up. Not sure if OSX locks up or not, because I cannot get out of the VM. Mouse still moves. Very frustrating, happening several times a day.

At first I thought it was a hardware fault, did a diag, found an issue with the hard disk. To my Mac to Apple, where they found a fault with the logic board which was replaced. Still having the lock up issue though, so it is not a hardware issue.

This is getting quite frustrating.

19. Ove Andersen

Ove Andersen Bit poster

I got the same problem.

The whole system freezes up, nothing works except hard reboot.
    Im not doing anything special in my Windows 8 guest OS, it just randomly freezes.

(Problem ID: 25692456)

20. scruch

scruch Bit poster

Same issue here... it's really not hard to replicate, we diligently reported the problem...
    Now Parallels Team can you please provide us with the resolution status?

thx