Parallels 8 Lion Guest `/~ Key Problem

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Hesedel, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Hesedel

Hesedel Bit poster

After upgrading to Parallels 8 and updating tools in Mac OS X Lion Guest, my `/~(shift) key under ESC key now gives me §/±(shift). Please someone help me fix this.

2. there is a temporary solution: you could kill prl_event_tap process and the situation will be improved. Though you can start experience problems with Cmd-Tab processing: the guest will receive Cmd up-down from time to time.

The situation is reproduced in our lab and the fix for this problem will be included into the next update. Sorry for inconvenience.

3. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Bit poster

This (or a related issue) prevents access to game console in Oblivion

Good evening!

I have a new Macbook Pro that I've purchased under Apple's 14-day trial period, and I am similarly testing Parallels under the trial license. The machine I've purchased is for a combination of work and personal use, and among the personal uses is game-mod development under the Elder Scrolls (Oblivion and Skyrim) games. This is enough of a serious hobby for me that it's a dealbreaker for moving to Apple and Parallels if I can't get it to work right.

So far I'm really impressed with Parallels, and Oblivion and Skyrim run great. The only problem is that in Oblivion I cannot access the console using the back-tick (` or ~) key. If you are playing the game, this is inconvenient, but for testing quest mods it is absolutely a fatal problem.

I did a lot of reading online and have found references to needing to set the keyboard to "US English" in Windows. I tried to do that, but that is not an offered choice of model. Only the Parallels virtual version of the Mac keyboard is offered in the dropdown list. I also tried the suggestion in *this* thread, of killing the prl_event_tap process from the OSX command line. That messes up the behavior of function keys for me but does not cause the ` key to work as it should.

In Skyrim, this isn't a problem -- the ` key does what it should. I have, of course, checked that bAllowConsole=1 in my oblivion.ini file, and I have told Parallels to disable the Apple Remote passthrough.

Since I just downloaded Parallels, and this thread was posted in September 2012, I'm assuming that the company's "next update" has happened already and I have it.

Any suggestions from the community? Thanks!

EDIT: Apologies -- I just noticed that this thread is for a Lion guest. My guest is Windows. I think it's the same problem, though.

4. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Bit poster

Someone on another (similar) thread in the Parallels forums suggested the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, which has worked perfectly for me to solve this issue. I set the back-tick (unshifted key) to be Unicode character 0x0060, and the tilde key (shifted key) to be Unicode 0x007e, and all is well.

5. hmm... Original problem was for completely non-working `/~ in Lion guest. As far as I can see you have troubles in one exact application as Skyrim works fine. Does `/~ work for Notepad?

Meanwhile we will try to understand your solution, but we need some details. What keyboard your are using? American with ~ near 1 and TAB or european near shift and 'z'.

6. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Bit poster

Not working after all

Hello, Denis, and thanks for the reply.

After my next restart of Windows and Parallels, I found that the MKLC solution stopped working, and I couldn't get it to work again. I opened a ticket with Parallels tech support (after registering my license), and they've escalated it to second-level support. Contact me privately if you want the ticket number to review it.

To answer your question, yes, the key works in Notepad and in Skyrim, and I have the U.S. keyboard with the accent key to the left of the 1 key.

Since posting here, I also found that I can replicate this problem running my Boot Camp instance of Windows under Parallels, but that it works perfectly if I boot the same Windows instance natively in Boot Camp.