Parallels 9 ALWAYS shows Windows XP taskbar in Coherence Mode

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Docger, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Docger

Docger Junior Member

Do I need to uninstall the "new" version of Parallels? Or can I just reinstall the 915397 version "over" the current version?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. GeroldF

GeroldF Bit poster

Simply 'over' it :)

3. Docger

Docger Junior Member

Well, as everyone suggested reinstalling Parallels 9 build 915397 did the trick. And it's not in the Parallels 9 update that is the problem. It's the installation of Parallel Tools into your version of Windows that causes the problem.

How do I know? Well, I installed Parallels 9 build 915397 over the newest version. It asked some questions about installing a newer version, which I declined. It then installed the 915397 version and the XP toolbar STILL appeared at the bottom underneath the MacOSX dock.

But then the installation proceeded to install Parallels Tools into XP, restarted Windows and VOILA, the XP toolbar was gone.

4. TomFinding

TomFinding Bit poster

Well I posted a support request and got an immediate reply.

Thank you for your email. I understand you are having issues with the Windows Taskbar in Coherence Mode.

This has been a known issue. You need to download the desktoputilities.dll file, inzip it and paste to Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Plugins on Windows

Please follow these steps

1. Download and unzip the DesktopUtilities
    2. In Windows, go to Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Plugins, move existing DesktopUtilities.dll to another location (say Desktop) and put downloadedDesktopUtilities.dll there.
    3. Reboot Windows virtual machine.

The download is on this link :

I followed the steps and now the Windows XP task bar is gone.

I am using build 9.0.23350 ( Revision 941886) Windows XP and Mavericks.
    I hope it works for everyone else too.

5. TomFinding

TomFinding Bit poster

6. Docger

Docger Junior Member

So, this is what I DON'T love about software companies...and software that we, as consumers, pay for yet.

1 Parallels acknowledges there is a problem.
    2 Parallels tells YOU how to fix it with backass way of fixing a file that has the error
    3 If Parallels realizes there is a problem and they know how to fix the problem, why in the world don't they issue an update and FIX the damn problem?

I am not a happy customer by any means. To me, this is ridiculous. It's been over a month since the last Parallels update. It's been over a month that users have this problem. And the build 914886 revision didn't address this problem? I'm had it with Parallels. Another "MUST UPGRADE" situation and I'm moving to VMWare Fusion. Just plain totally unacceptable support from Parallels.

7. Docger

Docger Junior Member

Just downloaded the latest Parallels 9 update. It specifically says that it fixes the Windows taskbar showing in Coherence mode.

Guess what? It didn't fix it.

Back to 915397.

8. WilliamT

WilliamT Bit poster

This solved the problem for me. http://kb.parallels.com/118867

Here's what I did: Download and unzip new .dll file. Locate old .dll file and rename file to DesktopUtilities.old. Copy new .dll file into directory and shut down Windows. Restart and it works as it should.

9. ~~Laura~~

~~Laura~~ Bit poster

Hi All ~

Can anyone help me? I'm not tech savvy at all and have no idea how to incorporate this fix. Would someone be kind enough to walk me through the steps (as in, baby steps, please!)? I don't even know where to find "Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\Plugins" let alone how to move the download file into it.

Thanks!

10. DavidJS

DavidJS Bit poster

This worked fine for me, but I will now be very leery upgrading to the next version.

11. Docger

Docger Junior Member

Just installed build 9.0.24172 Revision 951362. Windows Taskbar does NOT appear underneath the Mac OS dock.

Thank you!