Parallels and iCloud

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by EarlD, Jan 24, 2018.

1. EarlD

EarlD Bit Poster

Someone please tell me how this is supposed to work. I have a client who had a Windows 10.pvm and a Windows XP.pvm on his MacBook.
    He also had Windows 10.pvm and Windows XP.pvm on his iMac. Before he decided to use iCloud Desktop and Documents on both computers it worked really well. Am I the only one who has had a problem with this? The Windows 10.pvm on the MacBook was different from the one on the iMac, it had different applications, different documents, etc. Now it's the same as the one on the iMac and depending on which computer used the .pvm last, it will reinstall Parallels tools every time it launches or has licensing problems. Again, is it me or is the fact that Windows notices that it's a different processor and a different machine. Last time I checked, you can't just take a hard drive from a Dell and put it in an HP and expect it to work. BTW, I posted something like this a week ago and the moderators deleted it, I wonder why.

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @EarlD, please help us with screenshots of the applications mentioned above in both the pvm files, so that we can analyse the issue and help you out.

3. EarlD

EarlD Bit Poster

First, I apologize, just frustrated, the moderators did not delete my earlier post. There is nothing to take a screenshot of, the problem is this.
    The customer had virtual machines on two Macs. On each computer the virtual machines were named Windows 10.pvm and Windows XP.pvm (the same names).
    Even though they were the same names, they were very different. For example, the customer has Office installed in the Windows 10.pvm that is on the iMac, but not on the Windows 10.pvm that is on the MacBook. When iCloud Desktop and Documents was initiated, the Windows 10.pvm on the iMac got preference for some reason and when the sync was done, that virtual machine replaced the one on the MacBook. Everything in the original Windows 10.pvm on the MacBook was gone because it wasn't the replaced by the one from the iMac. A simple solution would have been to named the differtently, IE Windows 10iMac.pvm and Windows 10MacBook.pvm. I have straightened out the problem by putting the Parallels folder in the root of the Users Folder so they aren't sync with "Desktop and Documents". It would have been nice if Parallels had of sent out some kind of warning that this might happen. Either way, I won't make the same mistake again and I will recognize it next time I see it.

4. Ajith@Parallels

Ajith@Parallels Parallels Support

We really understand your concern but Parallels Desktop doesn't have an option to give an alert when a VM is changed or modified and also if Parallels Desktop was not running at the time when the pvm file is replaced then also you will not know. As you have said if the file name is different then that would have made the difference. We suggest you to backup the pvm files manually to avoid the same.

5. itachi

itachi Bit Poster

Hi everybody.
    I reopen this topic.
    I'd like to know if it's possible to synchronize parallels on two Mac.
    Can I just put the pvm file in iCloud folder and let it synchronize ? What I have to care about? Thanks in advance for you help

6. EarlD

EarlD Bit Poster

From my experience, it is not going to work. If the pvm was originally setup on your iMac and you try to open it on your MacBook, Windows is going to see the MacBook as a different computer. When there are hardware changes, Windows will deactivate. Maybe something has changed with the newer versions but I doubt it.

7. PaulChris@Parallels

PaulChris@Parallels Product Expert Parallels Support

Hi @itachi, basically, we do not recommend running Windows virtual machine from iCloud. Common Windows virtual machine occupies around 20GB of disk space. As more you work in VM, as more space it will take. Uploading a virtual machine to iCloud might occupy an ample part of your iCloud storage.

When you run a virtual machine that is located in a iCloud-synced folder, due to I/O disk operations virtual hard disk files are constantly being modified. Therefore iCloud will constantly try to upload the files, but will drop the upload once it detects that the files are changed. This leads to outbound network traffic waste.
    However, the virtual machine may be successfully uploaded to iCloud. Once uploaded, please keep in mind that deleting a virtual machine from one place (either iCloud or local folder) will automatically delete it from another. Make sure not to lose your virtual machine.