Parallels and Paragon NTFS for Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TimothyP, Dec 7, 2010.

1. TimothyP

TimothyP Junior Member

I installed Paragon NTFS for Mac (a third party app that allows one to read and write files from a Windows formatted external hard drive) before creating a Windows 7 Bootcamp partition. Apparently there are known issues between Bootcamp and NTFS software, as I found after booting up in Mac OS that the Windows Bootcamp partition did not appear in the Startup Disk pane. I can use the option key to boot up in Windows, but the Windows partition isn't recognized by the Startup Disk however.

Since I wanted to install Parallels Desktop 6.0 and was concerned that it would not install properly if the Windows partition did not appear in the Startup Disk pane, I disabled the NTFS for Mac drivers and restarted my computer. Sure enough, the Windows Bootcamp partition then appeared in the Startup Disk pane and I was able to install Parallels, using the Windows partition as the virtual drive.

I'm wondering what will happen if I again enable the Paragon NTFS for Mac drivers. Will this cause a conflict with Parallels such that Parallels will no longer run since (I assume) the Windows partition will again disappear from the Startup Disk pane? If anyone has any experience with this or any valuable insights on how to work around the use of NTFS software with Parallels, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!