Parallels build 3214 and Leopard?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by robsoft, Oct 26, 2007.

1. robsoft

robsoft Junior Member

Hi Xenos, thanks for the answer.

The suspend/resume problem I'm referring to is mentioned on the first page of this particular topic and was confirmed by many other users. Parallels 2.5, build 3214 would always fail to resume a suspended machine. The CPU would go to 100% on one of the cores and nothing would ever finally happen - you could leave it for 4 or 5 hours (I did, once) and nothing ever happens. That's what I'm talking about, and it's the problem that many other 2.5 users were struggling with.

I'm happy to say that in my limited use so far, build 3224 does seem to address this issue and I've successfully suspended/resumed machines probably half a dozen times so far, which is half a dozen more than I ever managed with 3214 under Leopard.

So thanks for that - it's appreciated that you guys have fixed it for the 2.5 users.

But I'm concerned at how little information there is about what gets fixed in these releases, or even what bugs there are. I don't know what internal system you have at SWSoft but I presume you guys assign issue/incident numbers to bugs and that you have some kind of regression testing regime so that old bugs can be checked in new builds of the software? I'm not asking you to do your dirty laundry in public, but I do think many frustrations here could be lessened if we had a better vocabulary with which we could exchange information about bugs, recurrences of problems or just the things that made it (and things that didn't make the cut) whenever a new release is made.

I appreciate that Parallels has come a long way in a short period of time; it was a fantastic product when it started out and it really didn't cost anything significant at all. But I'm worried that it's jumped the shark a little recently - not just with the Leopard growing pains but there is a feeling that it's not really as under control and focussed as it might be.

I really hope I'm wrong, though; and all griping aside, I thank you for getting 2.5 to work under Leopard (it's appreciated) and I sincerely wish you a prosperous New Year! :)

Cheers
    Rob

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Rob,

I am sorry, I did not have a look at the beginning of the thread and was thinking of another suspend / resume problem which occurred in the build 5160.

Thank you for the positive criticism. We are working on improvement of our Development, QA and Support processes. I hope we will be able to meet more of your expectations soon.

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

3. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

Thanks for the update Parallels, but do you have any idea when the update will be available for the AvanQuest Retail version? Currently, I don't see any update showing up in my 3214 build of Parallels.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello G-Force,

Parallels developers are working hard to release the update for the AvanQuest as soon as possible. It is supposed to come in January.

With best wishes for a Happy New Year,
    Xenos

5. G-Force

G-Force Junior Member

Thank you Xenos,

And a happy new year to you too. :)

6. keithjmason

keithjmason Bit poster

Hi,

Is there any update on this yet ?

Thanks,
    Keith.

7. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Keith,

Do you mean you are still waiting for a localized version of Parallels Desktop? Both 3224 and 5584 are available. Please use auto update or ask a local PD reseller.

Best regards,
    Xenos

8. keithjmason

keithjmason Bit poster

Hi,

No, I mean I was wondering when there was an update to 3214 that would allow me to use with Leopard. At present I have the problem where I cannot use suspend/resume, as it crashes OSX.

Checking for an update, Parallels still tells me there is no update available.

Thanks,
    Keith.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Keith, the Leopard Update for Parallels Desktop 2.5 was released in December. Please have a look at this thread and download the build 3224 from it if your updater is not working.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. Dublin

Dublin Bit poster

So what's the story?

I have just upgraded to Leopard and am having the same problems. When I try to wake parallels from a suspend it freezes. Seems like this is a common problem. I read somewhere that Parallels would continue to support 3124 however when I go to get updates I am told I have the most up to date version. Tiger worked 100% perfectly but Leopard is unusable if I can't risk a suspend. Would someone from Parallels please tell me what to do.
    Thanx
    Ian

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

12. Dublin

Dublin Bit poster

Thanks

Thanks very much, I did actually find the download myself after posting on this thread. Looking foward to Parallels working as well as it used to!