Parallels Compressor never completes!

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by MSUDVM, Mar 30, 2007.

1. MSUDVM

MSUDVM Member

I am trying to run compressor on build 3188 and XP. The progress meter gets to about 76% on compacting and never progresses. I have let the program run for 24 hours and the progress bar never goes any farther. Anyone have any suggestions?

Dan

2. wesley

wesley Pro

Do you happen to have NTFS compression enabled?

3. MSUDVM

MSUDVM Member

No, compression is not allowed on the C drive and Zone Alarm is disabled.

4. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

No suggestions (sorry) but some empathy. :)

I had the exact same problem a few builds back. Even had the same 76% complete number.

My problem is now moot because I eventually nuked the VM and reinstalled everything, this time with a large (80GB) fixed VM drive (I have a 500GB physical HD so I have room to do this - for now :)).

5. tfulmino

tfulmino Bit poster

I too am having the same issue. I would love to reclaim the space on my drive....

Support do you have any suggestions?

6. enthios

enthios Member

How did you nuke it? I mean, how did you transfer files over to the new VM? Or did you use the Sticky info to copy it over?

7. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

I use this method (using Acronis True Image) to reduce the size of the VM.
    http://forums.parallels.com/thread10835.html

I believe you should try it, provided you have a copy of Acronis True Image or perhaps Norton Ghost.

[​IMG]

8. Leonard

Leonard Member

I am running Parallels 3.0 (licensed upgrade from 2.5) and figured I would compress the XP VM. 10 hours later I am finally up to about 95%. The process is running and progress is happening, but obviously verrrrrry slowly.

I compressed the VM in 2.5 and it was not speedy, but I would bet that it took well under an hour.

If it was not actually progressing I would cancel it, but now I am just going to wait it out? Is anyone else having long compressor times in 3.0?

9. David5000

David5000 Pro

Expanding or fixed-size virtual drive?

Thank you,

David

10. Leonard

Leonard Member

Not entirely sure how to tell. Mode is "Image" and it was carried over from a seperate Windows XP machine using the Transporter. Which, by the way, was the coolest and easiest thing I have done in a long time.

11. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers

Hello, Leonard,

The similar problem on last stage "Compacting of your virtual disks" was detected and fixed. The suggested fix will be available in the next update.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
    Helen.

12. Leonard

Leonard Member

Thanks Helen. The compression did eventually complete without incident and the VM appears to be working normally. I'll keep an eye out for the inevitable "Update x caused bug y, Parallels is teh suxx0r" threads to alert me when to update. ;)