Parallels desktop 11 and Directx 11

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DominusNox, Aug 19, 2015.

1. imacken

imacken Hunter

Actually it was me who woke up the thread, but never mind!
    I'm not convinced that DX11 support in Bootcamp has anything to do with Apple. You can install Windows on a Mac without Bootcamp. AFAIK, all Apple does is provide some optimised drivers for some hardware, .e.g Magic Trackpads, etc. The DX11 support surely comes from AMD or nVidia.
    It is because Parallels uses a Parallels VM video driver that the problem exists in PD.

2. JohannP

JohannP Bit poster

I'm glad that you woke up the thread, imacken ;-)

3. imacken

imacken Hunter

Great pity that Parallels engineers won't wake up and give us DX11!

4. DavidT6

DavidT6 Bit poster

DX11 or greater support would have got me to upgrade to Parallels 12. But I'll stick with Parallels 11 for this cycle. This is way more important for me than pretty much all the other functionality you're focusing on.

5. JenniferS2

JenniferS2 Bit poster

Bull poop.

MarkL8 likes this.
  6. MarkP9

MarkP9 Bit poster

I'm on that newsletter they talk about. It's nothing but marketing spam trying to get you to buy new versions or services, but never any technical data. Every time I see them spam me with an ad for a new version of Parallels I do a web search for "parallels directx 11" and the only pages that come up are from their forums where people are complaining about a lack of Directx 11 support and parallels staff giving useless non-answers as always.

I will never buy another version of Parallels as long as Directx 11 isn't supported. I don't care if Windows runs 25% faster when it can't run anything newer than 5 year old software. Programs that old don't need that much more speed than they already have. I don't care about 20+ new tools. I am looking for one thing only, the core functionality of any virtualization software, that it virtualizes a machine. If it can't achieve that aim, then it is useless. Parallels (and sadly VMWare is in no better shape), doesn't do what it says on the tin. The state of Windows has moved on but emulators have not. So, no more viable emulators. I know, perhaps better than most, these aren't easy problems to solve, but after all these years, and all these minor speed updates hailed by the marketing department as extraordinary, the only conclusion one can reasonably draw is that Parallels doesn't have the talent or drive to achieve anything better. They're just hoping to milk their most gullible customers for as long as possible before even they wise up to the fact that Parallels can't do anything new that it couldn't do several versions ago.

7. Adonsa

Adonsa Junior Member

I read on a Pee Cee oriented gaming forum, that the reason that directX 11 isn't readily available is ...
    "1. It's too hard to do
    2. It requires specific hardware, and it's impossible to do in software."

So they say.
    Rebuttal to #2, as applies to Mac users,
    -- It can be done within Apple Boot Camp, implying that recent Mac hardware is already good.
    -- The existence of Parallels and VMWare already prove that requirements for hardware can be done in software.

8. Adonsa

Adonsa Junior Member

Probability Question for all you smart guys.

If we purchase the $50 upgrade for Parallels-12 .....
    What's the probability that a future upgrade, to a Directx-11 capable Parallels, will be free?

Remarks on the Macupdate, about Parallels' upgrade pricing policy, are slightly less than kind for
    both price and that it's licensed to the machine, not the user (license similar to Mac The Ripper).

9. MichaelB16

MichaelB16 Bit poster

I've been a happy Parallels user since version 2. And although I wouldn't call the upgrade pricing cheap, I always found it to be justifiable.
    However, with support for DirectX 11 still missing in Parallels 12, that has changed. While improvements in functionality and speed are great, missing DirectX 11 support leaves me with the critical problem of not being able to run some tools I need, thereby greatly reducing my perceived value of Parallels.
    I (and many others) would really appreciate a real status update regarding this. ("Development is involved" is an infuriatingly evasive non-answer, I have to say.)

MarkL8 and GianfrancoI like this.
  10. Zhenzhen_Zhan

Zhenzhen_Zhan Bit poster

Parallels staff should tell us: Will it be in version 12's later updates, or in version 13? I'm very disappointed. Not only games, but many browsers also use DirectX 11 to render - in DirectX 10 they render not very well.

MarkL8 and GianfrancoI like this.
  11. GianfrancoI

GianfrancoI Bit poster

what good is Windows for mac users????

windows is disgusting!! Mac Users want Windows only small specific and and one of these is that of games but without directx 11 is impossible.

No one will take parallels 12 without directx 11 otherwise we do bootcamp!!!

MarkL8 likes this.
  12. PeterZ1

PeterZ1 Bit poster

Even wine has DX 11, though in testing stage. It is ridiculous to see that a VM software with a whole copy of system doesn't support DX 11 while a Run Time only with partial system had DX 11.

13. RakanS

RakanS Bit poster

So since Arma 3 wont give mac users a full version of the game, and my hopes were upgrading to windows 10 and parallels 12 would fix that, i figured they sure wouldve put it in by now, but to my surprise my money and time have been a waste... thanks parallels

14. GianfrancoI

GianfrancoI Bit poster

October 6, 2016 the Parallels team does not tell us anything about dirfectx11. Official: I do bootcamp

MarkL8 likes this.
  15. CraigM5

CraigM5 Junior Member

Amazing, I dropped Codeweavers Crossover because of lack of Directx 10 support, and now it looks like Wine will be doing DX11. Still not sure about the 64bit support though. However it's seriously time for DX11 or even 12 support. I've left off upgrading to Parallels 12 because of this issue.

16. A User

A User Bit poster

Add me to the list of customers that require DirectX 11 support. I may *shudder* have to buy a PC if this isn't resolved.

17. CraigM5

CraigM5 Junior Member

Unfortunately VMware isn't upping the game challenge with DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 either. :( Both VMware and Parallels conspicuously silent.

18. GeorgS1

GeorgS1 Bit poster

Any predictions for 2017? I'd need DirectX 11 support for Autodesk 3ds max 2017. Currently I have to run it with the OpenGL display driver and cannot utilize the full power of my Macbook Pro 2016 GPU.

19. darkj

darkj Bit poster

2017, and this is the only thing I find when I google parallels and dx10. I'm not saying I pirated this software, but I'm sure as hell glad I didn't pay for v.11. Windows 10 runs great on Sierra, but I wanted to do gaming. Forget dx11 it came out a decade ago; I need dx12. I don't want to subscribe to newsletters and I don't want to hear about your dev team working on porting dx11. Does anyone know which if any competitors can do dx12. Bootcamp?

20. VincenzoR1

VincenzoR1 Bit poster

Has been almost 2 years from the request to implement Directx 11 in Parallels.. Any news? Are you really developing on it, or it was just a joke?