Parallels Desktop 13 Black Screen on Win 10 April Update

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MoofMac25, May 5, 2018.

1. MoofMac25

MoofMac25 Bit poster

Under Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.4 on a MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2016, running Parallels version 13. When I attempted to apply Windows 10 April Update, reboot, then a black screen with no cursor. I had to 'reset' it several times in order to get it to work. Please advise.

2. MichaelS60

MichaelS60 Bit poster

Same issue with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 with mid-2014 MacBook Pro 15" and Windows 10 April Update. I didn't have any luck with the 'reset' described above. Can't get it to work. Please help ASAP

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Guys please collect technical information to diagnose the issue:
    1. While having a black screen, go to Help menu > Send Technical Data... > generate and send us a tech report. Post the report ID here.
    2. Right after it, without resetting VM, while black screen is visible, please collect core memory dump using these instructions: https://kb.parallels.com/en/121323. Upload compressed memory dump to any convenient file share. Share the link to archive here.

This information will greatly help us to diagnose this issue.

4. MoofMac25

MoofMac25 Bit poster

5. JohnR20

JohnR20 Bit poster

I am having this same issue. Any resolution?

6. MichaelS60

MichaelS60 Bit poster

7. FaadhilJ

FaadhilJ Bit poster

Same problem here, no luck with reset, has a resolution been found?

8. Dmitry@Parallels

@MoofMac25, @MichaelS60, thank you very much for the diagnostic data. Our Engineering Team will analyze reports and dumps asap and I will reply you back.

9. JohnR20

JohnR20 Bit poster

I use this daily for work. This is a MAJOR issue, since I now cannot use any of my windows based software... For days now... Not good...

10. Dmitry@Parallels

We have analyzed the dumps, there are no issues with either Windows core or virtualization engine. Windows is stuck at loading user space (autostart programs), what software exactly causes the issue we don't know: neither the dump nor technical report does not contain this information. I suggest the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:
    1. Make a manual backup of the VM (if not enough room on Mac, take a snapshot via Actions > Take Snapshot).
    2. Start Windows 10 and right after go to Actions > Reset.
    3. Repeat reset procedure 2-3 times until Windows shows 'Preparing Automatic Repair' (unfortunately, this is now the easiest way to get to safe mode).
    Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 15.50.39.png
    4. Wait until Windows shows 'Automatic Repair' dialog. Select 'Advanced options' > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > click 'Restart' > press '4' or F4 on keyboard.
    5. Make sure Windows is booted to safe mode. Let me know if Windows cannot boot even to safe mode.
    6. Take another snapshot.
    7. Right-click on Windows taskbar > select Task Manager > navigate to Startup tab > disable all 3rd-party software except Microsoft and Parallels publishers.
    8. Restart Windows. Check if Windows is booted to normal mode successfully.
    - If yes, then one of the 3rd-party programs causes Windows boot issue. Revert to snapshot to safe mode and disable one 3rd-party program at a time and reboot to check. Once the conflicting software is determined, please reply to this forum thread with the software name.
    - If Windows yet does not boot even after disabling all 3rd-party programs, use system restore points to recover Windows (Wait until Windows shows 'Automatic Repair' dialog. Select 'Advanced options' > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore). You can also reset Windows as a last resort option ('Reset this PC' at 'Troubleshoot' section).​

11. NikosR1

NikosR1 Bit poster

Same problem here.
    I tried the above steps but,'Preparing Automatic Repair' does not shows up. The system tries to reset, but, nothing happens.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  12. NikosR1

NikosR1 Bit poster

13. MichaelS60

MichaelS60 Bit poster

Hello, can you let me know if the above fix worked for you? I haven't had any luck and rolled back to the Windows 10 September 2017 version.

14. DavidL31

DavidL31 Bit poster

Same issue here. Report ID 258753357.

15. DomonkosR

DomonkosR Bit poster

Same issue here. Report ID 309505074.

16. @DavidL31, @DomonkosR thanks for the provided info, I've provided Parallels Engineering team with it and once we get any updates, we will let you know.
    Thanks for your cooperation with us.