Parallels desktop 13 Windows start menu and task bar issues

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by RahulM2, Nov 1, 2017.

1. RahulM2

RahulM2 Bit poster

I am having issues with parallels desktop 13. When I start parallels desktop, the windows task bar freezes for long times and I only see the spinning mouse. Eventually when it works and I click on a pinned item on task bar, it freezes again. Start menu has stopped working altogether. I have tried re-installing parallels tools but this did not resolve the issue.

2. Meenakshi@Parallels

Meenakshi@Parallels Pro

Hello RahulM2, Kindly be informed that this is a known issue with Windows 10 and happens on real Windows PC's as well. As a workaround (results not guaranteed), navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and locate the application 'ctfmon'. Next, press CMD+R in Windows to launch the Run window, type 'shell:startup' (without the quotes) in the text field, hit 'Enter' (which opens a new window), drag and drop the 'ctfmon' application from the other window into the new window, launch it (no application window will open and nothing will seem to happen because, after being launched, the application will simply run hidden in the background) and restart Windows. Thanks!