Parallels Desktop 14 on 2017 iMac with Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration' started by triplespeed, Jan 5, 2019.

1. triplespeed

triplespeed Bit Poster

Just sharing with the community...

I have been happily using Parallels Desktop for Mac for several years (starting with PD6) to run Windows 95/98/7/10 virtual machines on my Mac. Most recently I was using PD14 on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) to run a W10 VM and the performance was excellent. My MBP configuration included a 3.1GHz dual-core i5 processor, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and 512GB SSD.

I recently migrated to a 2017 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display (3.5GHz quad-core i5, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive). PD14 ran incredibly slowly in comparison with my MBP. I figured that this had something to do with the Fusion Drive in my new iMac. I was even thinking about replacing my Fusion Drive iMac with a new SSD iMac to see if this would improve PD performance.

Instead I purchased a 500GB Samsung T5 external SSD (USB 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps) and moved my Win10 VM to this external drive. The Samsung drive is connected to my iMac via one of the two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports. Result: amazing PD VM performance restored! Like night-and-day!

I was even thinking about trying one of the new Thunderbolt 3 Samsung X5 external SSD drives, but I am very pleased with the Samsung T5 performance. Performance is as good (or better) than the performance on my MBP SSD.

YMMV

2. Sathiya@Parallels

Sathiya@Parallels Staff Member

Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience with Parallels Desktop. Please post again for additional queries.