Parallels Desktop 17 with Windows 11 keeps crashing on Macbook Pro M1 Pro chip (Sonoma OS)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by HongkiK, Oct 13, 2023.

1. HongkiK

HongkiK Bit poster

Recently, the Parallels desktop 17 keeps crashing. After a reboot, it suddenly kills in less than a minute. It has Windows 11 installed. The desktop 17 is up-to-date. Macbook Pro 14 inch M1 Pro chip. Has anyone found a solution for this?

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello!
    Kindly try to perform the steps below as a workaround:
    1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).
    2. Click on the Parallels Desktop logo on the Mac menu bar > select Control Center.
    3. Right-click on the Parallels Desktop application icon in the dock > select Control Center.
    4. Right-click on your virtual machine and select "Show in Finder".
    5. Right-click on the .pvm file > "Show package contents".
    6. Right-click config.pvs > "Open with" > TextEdit > locate the following string:

<SharedShortcuts>1</SharedShortcuts>

7. Change the value for Type from 1 to 0.
    8. Press the Command and S shortcut to save changes.
    9. Start your virtual machine, and check if the issue persists.

crctech likes this.
  3. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    Parallels Desktop 17 isn't compatible with macOS Sonoma: https://kb.parallels.com/114381. Anyway, would you replicate the issue again and collect a technical report while the issue is being reproduced (click Parallels icon > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in your reply.

4. HongkiK

HongkiK Bit poster

Hi Mikhail,
    The same issue happened even before I updated to Sonoma.
    I just replicated the issue and sent the report. 439096863 is the 9-digit ID.

5. henry19

henry19 Bit poster

Mine is Parallels Desktop 19, same issue after upgraded to Sonoma.
    I sent the report, the report ID is 439213837.

6. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello Henry,
    I've just opened a ticket for you to investigate the issue in detail.

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Best Answer
    Hello!
    Kindly try to perform the steps below as a workaround:
    1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).
    2. Click on the Parallels Desktop logo on the Mac menu bar > select Control Center.
    3. Right-click on the Parallels Desktop application icon in the dock > select Control Center.
    4. Right-click on your virtual machine and select "Show in Finder".
    5. Right-click on the .pvm file > "Show package contents".
    6. Right-click config.pvs > "Open with" > TextEdit > locate the following string:

<SharedShortcuts>1</SharedShortcuts>

7. Change the value for Type from 1 to 0.
    8. Press the Command and S shortcut to save changes.
    9. Start your virtual machine, and check if the issue persists.

crctech likes this.
  8. HongkiK

HongkiK Bit poster

Hi Mikhail,
    After the value change, it seems to be working fine now. For the last 10 min of usage, it did not crash. Thanks a lot.

Mikhail Ushakov likes this.
  9. GinY

GinY Bit poster

Hello! I tried the above but it didn't work. Please help! I replicated the issue and sent a report: 442562611\

Thank you in advance!

10. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello!
    Parallels Desktop 17 isn't compatible with macOS Sonoma: https://kb.parallels.com/114381. We recommend you upgrade Parallels Desktop version to version 19.

GinY likes this.
  11. AndersonM2

AndersonM2 Bit poster

Im with problem similar. I use version 17 and crashing my VM. I do steps up, but not worket.
    My MACOS is Ventura 13.5.
    Did you have a solution?????
    Tks

12. AntoineO1

AntoineO1

Hello, I have the latest version of Parallels Desktop 17 on my MacBook Pro with macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 and I have windows 10 on my Virtuel Machine but my licence expired (I don't know if it's connected to the problem). Each 15min the VM crashes and I have a report problem 458127022 is the 9-digit ID. I have tried the solution to change the 1 to a 0 for : <SharedShortcuts>1</SharedShortcuts> but it didn't changed anything.
    I have seen some comments about Parallels Desktop 17 been not compatible with the new version macOS Sonoma, does the problem stops if I go back to the macOS previous version ?

Thank you for your time.