Parallels Desktop 18.3.1 is super slow on Mac Ventura 13.1

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Joe Chitrady, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Joe Chitrady

Joe Chitrady Bit poster

I am on mac OS Ventura 13.1 and upgraded to Parallels Desktop 18.3.1 not long ago. Now from time to time I can see the "kernel_task" process on my mac is using 500% to 1200% of CPU resources. When this happens then my Windows 10 is practically frozen. Just to move the mouse cursor will take forever.
    I tried to restart the mac but still no luck. If I don't do anything on Windows 10 VM then the kernel_task process would eventually back to normal using only a bit of the CPU. The minute I tries to do anything on Windows 10 VM then the kernel_task will go back to using a lot of CPU resource again.
    The problem comes and goes. I assigned the mac 4CPU and 8GB to the windows VM.

Has anyone encountered this issue? I am totally frustrated by this. I can handle slow but not to the point not able to move the cursor.
    Please help.

2. KennethJ2

KennethJ2 Bit poster

I just upgraded to Ventura 13.5 from Catalina, and everything is very slow. I may revert back, luckily a made a clone.

3. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

4. Pramesh Boodadoo

Hello,
    For us to further investigate this issue, kindly reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (right-click Parallels icon in Dock > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and provide us with the report's 9-digit ID in reply to this post.
    Thank you.

5. KennethJ2

KennethJ2 Bit poster

In a separate action, case Parallels #4207771 was created and the technical report ID was 431553800. Ikhlaas Toonah suggested I change RAM size, but I had it as "Automatic," which should be the best option. In the meantime performance has improved somewhat, so maybe it is just an initial issue.

6. Pramesh Boodadoo

Hello,
    I have verified your case history and the technical report provided.
    It appears, that your Mac have Fusion disk on board, and sometimes it prevents to work with Parallels Desktop as it should be.
    So, to try to resolve your issue, kindly do the following:
    1) Find your virtual machine in Finder (https://kb.parallels.com/kr/117333 )
    2) Move .pvm file of your virtual machine to an external drive (if you have it). Preferably SSD.
    3) Start your virtual machine and check performance.
    If your virtual machine runs normally from external drive, we recommend you leave it there and work with connected external drive.
    4) You can also move .pvm file from external drive to internal Fusion drive and try to start virtual machine again.
    Let us know if the above steps helped to solve the issue.
    Thank you.

7. GiuseppeF3

GiuseppeF3 Bit poster

I have tha same problem with Ventura 13.1
    before parallel desktop worked very well
    yesterday I passed to Pro version but the result is the same
    what can I do ?

8. TrondJ

TrondJ Bit poster

I have the same problem in Mac OS Sonoma and Parallels 19.4. The issue occurred after an update of Parallels.
    I tried to reinstall on a new VM, but it's still crazy slow.
    What I see on the task manager is that Disk-usage in windows goes bananas. Every time I change application or open a file in the VM, the disk read/write goes op to 800-2000 MB/s and stays there for about 30 seconds. CPU peaks at the same time. Same behaviour on my existing VM as my freshly installed new Win 11 VM.

I have had automatic settings on the VM, but tried changing them to manual and giving the VM more juice, with no effect.
    Did you find a solution to this issue?