Parallels Desktop 18 - Bridged Network Not Working

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by KrzysztofK3, Jan 30, 2023.

1. KrzysztofK3

KrzysztofK3 Bit poster

Hey folks,
    I am struggling to get the bridged network in Parallels to work.

I have a Linux VM which is set to a bridged network.
    The problem is that the VM instead of appearing on the network as a separate device with its own IP, it is just changing my Mac's IP address.

My Mac is set to a static IP on my router, but when the VM is started and the network is set to bridged, I can see on my router that the IP of my mac keeps rotating between the original IP of my Mac and the IP of the VM. The VM never appears as a separate device on the network.

Anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. KrzysztofK3

KrzysztofK3 Bit poster

I just noticed that the IP keeps changing (rotating between the original Mac IP and the VM IP) even after the VM is shut down.
    I have a similar problem with a Windows VM. It does not appear on the network as a separate device, although it does not change my Mac's IP.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3rLGdldqub0

3. KarstenS7

KarstenS7 Bit poster

I've got an open ticket on this issue with Parallels already - using Ubuntu 22.04.
    The closest we came to a solution was adding a 2nd virtual NIC that was connected to nothing - that allowed the (now 2nd NIC) to get the bridged IP address correctly - EXCEPT, Ubuntu still leased an additional IP address and assigned both the bridged and the newly leased IP to the same NIC.
    Otherwise, nothing I've tried with them has worked as of yet and the ticket is on temporary hold until I install a new router to take the existing one out of the loop (had just the one with NO-NAT/NO-DHCP w/ Lvl 3 firewall redirect to the Bridged IP on one WAN port and NAT/DHCP to the remainder of the network on the other WAN port). That's still about a week away.
    I'll post whatever the final result is once I get one.
    Otherwise, I'd suggest opening a ticket as well.