Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 5626 Ita and SNOW LEOPARD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by lucco78, Aug 26, 2009.

1. EPC7

EPC7 Bit poster

Maybe they can offer a more reasonable update price for adopters of Snow Leopard who are stuck with completely nonfunctional software?

2. SaschaR

SaschaR Bit poster

From F.A.Q.

"Will older versions of Parallels Desktop for Mac — such as Parallels Desktop 2.5 for Mac or Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac-support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6)?

Older versions of Parallels Desktop software were not included in our testing efforts. While these versions may install and run on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6), they were designed, tested and released to the public several years before this new operating system became available. The older versions of our software will not be updated to support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (v10.6). We recommend upgrading to the latest version of Parallels Desktop for Mac, Version 4.0."

3. janitor

janitor Junior Member

OH well time to remove parallels, and move on.

4. FerdiH

FerdiH Bit poster

I was pondering whether to jump ship to VMWare but this settles it. :(

5. janitor

janitor Junior Member

Yep was thinking this also, but as i only really use 2 windows programs, i can't really justify spending £45 to upgrade to V4 or £50 switching to VMware, will have to continue with virtual box, which is a shame as i like parallels.

6. kimptoc

kimptoc Bit poster

Virtual Box for me...

Hi,

Another parallels 3 user, I had already started using VirtualBox as P3 did not work with Ubuntu 9.

I have now installed Win7 under VB, so I think I will be freeing up the P3 disk space real soon now.

And its free/GPL.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

7. gothick

gothick Bit poster

Yeah, same here. That upgrade price is a real stinger (more than Snow Leopard, I notice, even with the current discount), and I don't use Parallels often enough to justify it. Guess I'm going to learn about Boot Camp instead.

Ah well. It was okay while it lasted.

8. yogikirk

yogikirk Bit poster

Will v3 --> v4 upgrade require VM OS reload

Thanks, for all the great posts.

My main concern is this: If I upgrade to v4.0 (for any reason) do I have to re-install Windows XP? I bought my MBPro with Parallels and XP pre-installed so I don't have the XP discs.

Thanks,

yogikirk

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I hope Snow Leopard price makes others like Parallels consider what cost to put on upgrades.

10. MacHound

MacHound Bit poster

11. IanK

IanK Bit poster

Appaling customer service

I bought Parallels 3.0 18 months ago and I'm appalled there's no patch to resolve the Snow Leopard upgrade. Being forced to pay a premium amount for a full upgrade to 4.0 is tantamount to daylight robbery and is not in my opinion an ethical way to treat customers. Will 4.0 drop out of support in 12 months time?

Really unimpressed. I won't be extending my custom with Parallels if this is their policy.

12. appleguy

appleguy Bit poster

Well I have upgraded to Snow Leopard now that is it officially in production. Just like many on this forum my Parallels Desktop 3 won't start! However, my VMWare Fusion 2 is doing just fine with the new OS... SWITCH!

13. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Bit poster

Bye Bye parallels

As a 3.0 user.....who updated to 4.0 to find it couldn't work on "machines without hardware virtualization" and had to revert back to 3.0.....
    ....and has now updated to SnowLeopard

WHERE IS THE UPDATE FOR PARALLELS 3 ????

14. theotherjay

theotherjay Bit poster

can't upgrade "suspended" virtual machine

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard. Parallels
    Desktop 3.0 does not work anymore. OK,
    solution is to upgrade to 4.0. (grumblings
    of upgrade price, but not the issue at the
    moment).

The problem is that I left my virtual machine
    "suspended" and not "shutdown", as I always
    do.

Now, when I run the upgrade procedure, it
    tells me to "Shutdown these running and suspended
    virtual machines: Windows XP".

WELL, I CANT!! I can't start Parallels 3.0 to
    shut it down.

Does anybody have any ideas? If I lose this
    virtual machine,

- Jay

15. Paul Henry

Paul Henry Bit poster

Had the same *issue* myself. Called tech support and they told me how to fix it (for free):

1. Go into ~/Documents/Parallels/Microsoft Windows XP

2. Delete 'Microsoft Windows XP.mem' and 'Microsoft Windows XP.sav'. These two files control the state and session settings. They are only created when you suspend or save a session, so by deleting them, you reset the virtual machine.

3. Upgrade to Parallels 4. When you start Parallels, it should now convert the XP virtual machine properly.

16. theotherjay

theotherjay Bit poster

17. TakahiroY

TakahiroY Bit poster

I have the exact same problem but unfortunately this procedure didn't work. I contacted tech support thru website but haven't heard from them yet. Any suggestions?

18. stephanieK

stephanieK Bit poster

Thank you thank you Paul! I am a student and just upgraded to Snow Leopard .. only to find out that 3.0 wouldn't open so I can get to my AutoCad program. It worked like a charm. Hopefully I don't have any more hiccups with installation or running the program!

19. theotherjay

theotherjay Bit poster

20. Michael Shade

Michael Shade Bit poster

Thanks for passing this on - it seems to have worked for me!

Michael