Parallels Desktop 3.0 build 5626 Ita and SNOW LEOPARD

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by lucco78, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Paul Henry

Paul Henry Bit poster

I suspect either method would work. I have not yet upgraded to Parallels 4, so have not actually tested the method suggested to me by tech support. I was so surprised that they gave it to me for free that I posted it online for all to review.

The official KnowledgeBase method is certainly cleaner than mucking about too much in the innards of Parallels. It sounds, based on observed experience (albeit limited), that the install process is flawed and would give an error regardless of whether the virtual machine was shut down properly or not.

However, I will try the process myself before coming to any particular conclusions.

2. DerrickY

DerrickY Bit poster

Dumping Parallels

I was in the same boat as everybody else, with a suspended PD3 VM after installing Snow Leopard. But, as mentioned by others, the renaming workaround (http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=93164) works like a charm. Then, after upgrading to PD4 with a trial key, it's a simple matter to back up your data in preparation to move to another VM software.

In my case, I switched to VirtualBox using the instructions found at http://www.xyhd.tv/2008/12/technical/how-to-migrate-from-parallels-to-virtualbox/. So far, it's working great.

It would have been nice to have stayed with Parallels, because I'm familiar with the way that PD works, but dealing with their apathetic and indifferent customer support just isn't worth it. Going back on their earlier statement to update PD3 with Snow Leopard was the final nail in the coffin.

3. AASTYLES

AASTYLES Bit poster

please help

im still somewhat new to mac....used windows for my whole life and made the switch over. I had parallels 3 nad upgraded to snow leopard. I never used parallels before and I dont know how to uninstall it now. if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

adam