Parallels Desktop 3 > PIECE OF CRAP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Amber242, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

I read the list of games a few days ago, and it was before I had paid... You needed to look for it, they didn't exactly have a javascript alerting these things...

2. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

Well, I learned from Americans :D

I agree. I just point, that they should not call this *RELEASE*. It is STILL a BETA.

3. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

Really, in my opinion, if you're too ignorant to read the page full of information about 3.0 rather than blindly following the little flash ad, maybe you need to go elsewhere.

You're only adding to the unproductiveness of this forum, by spouting how badly you're upset and angry that a flash ad apparently got your attention.

Do you believe everything in ads? Maybe they should have added a * to the end and add a "details here" portion? would that make you happy?

Or how about instead of whining about how XXX is making you angry and whining you want your money back, provide constructive feedback, so changes can be IMPLEMENTED?

This forum is full of complaints today. All of which are: WHY DIDNT YOU GIVE US A BETA????!! :angryface: and WHY IS THIS SO BUGGY?!! :angryface:

They give you a beta, the forum is going to overwhelm the developers.

They try to control the work load with a closed beta, and customers moan that they didn't get to enjoy the open beta that floods the forum.

Most companys hand pick beta testers in multiple phases. Alpha stage, they pick technically savy people. Those that know how to dig into roots and assist development best. Next they add some less savy, to get a wider spectrum of testing. Last is a open, or large quantity test, where they have a HUGE amount of testers.

They just seem to have combined A and B into the time frame of A, and then went straight to C.

The amount of work required to do this can't be done over night. Do you want this program now, or do you want it 6 months down the road, with the smaller spectrum of beta testing?

Seeing the whining about the closed beta all over this place, I would have released it too.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  4. crag

crag Member

That's right. Tell you the truth I would've upgraded anyway. Even without the promises of 3D gaming. It's a good product.

But to outright lie. Just to raise some cash. I mean, now I'm thinking of switching to VM. I wasn't thinking that yesterday or even 6 months ago when 3.0 was a dream.

5. crag

crag Member

I never got a flash ad. I got emails. 5 emails. All listing the wonders of upgrading to 3.0. Have we gotten so used to being lied to in America that I need to check and double-check everything a company is telling me? Not excalty the best way to build brand loyalty.

Constructive feedback? Ok heres something: FIX THE APPLICATION!

6. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Parallels should learn from Apple. Look at Boot Camp. It is a far less complicated program, out for over a year, solid as rock, but Apple still call it beta, and still releasing new build once every few months. Parallels 3.0 has gone through something like one month QA and two months beta with limited user base. What a shame?

7. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

I feel same. VM starts to look cool. Especially with UNITY. Try this: VMWare Fusion with UNITY.

8. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

Seems pretty cut and dry about what you can do.

What exactly is "being lied to" other than you taking words out of context?

9. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

Parallels prettymuch does that already.

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/releasenotes_fusion.html#games

And its not like their releasenotes are any better.

infact, their 3d games list is much much smaller.

So, are you complaining because Fusion is behind in 3d game support, or because no other company has accomplished what they have now?

Also note, the games they list are much older. UT2k4? Nope. Quake 4? Newp, not even close.

"max payne". Yeah, you still play that eh?

10. crag

crag Member

I'll reprint a few of the big ones for you.

"# New! Run today’s most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics"

"2. Play the hottest 3D games!
    OpenGL and DirectX support lets you explore a whole new world of 3D games and applications right on your Mac. Play Half-Life 2 and work in Sony Vegas at near native speeds right in your Parallels virtual machine."

"3. Use any phone, MP3 player, and camera with your Mac.
    With Parallels, you can use your favorite devices, even if they’re Windows-only. Connect your Blackberry, phone, camera, and MP3 player to your Mac!"

Need more?

11. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

USB works fine for me.

OGL and DX support.

I think you need to learn what "Ogl and Dx" support means. Not only for parallels, but to an industry as a whole.

Gefore FX series for instance, aren't 100% direct X 9 COMPLIANT, while it is "supported".

Theres differences between "supported" and "compliant", as there are hardware and software portions of DX9.

HL2 works. Does it not? Vegas works, does it not? Where does it say, like the OP is angry about, that BF1942 is supposed to work?

12. crag

crag Member

Ture. But they never made promises like Parallels. I don't see on their site wording like: "New! Run today’s most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics or "2. Play the hottest 3D games!
    OpenGL and DirectX support lets you explore a whole new world of 3D games and applications right on your Mac. Play Half-Life 2 and work in Sony Vegas at near native speeds right in your Parallels virtual machine."

I mean you don't get it. it's not about features. It's about marketing. I respect parallels for what it is. A fine applicaiton. But they crossed a line when the marketing department and development don't talk to each other. Reminds me of ATT getting sued when they stated "We have the least dropped calls in America". They lost that case. Twice.

PS: Look at http://forums.parallels.com/thread12542.html Man that says it all right there. Yeah, yeah the kid was stupid to actually believe the software would work.

13. RReuscher

RReuscher Bit poster

Grow up

So get your money back, then in 6 months when they've finally improved the product to run the specific game your looking buy it again. Bt of course your going to have pay full price, as no longer have a valid license for it.

Or you could have paid less for the upgrade knowing that most likely it will eventually run the software you want to run. They are better than most companies about putting out updates to the product - how many releases of 2.0 and 2.5 were there in the year the product has been out? It's not like the version 3 broke anything that worked in version 2.5, rendering the product useless. It still does everything I needed it for in 2.5, plus now I can run a couple new programs with out having to boot the machine to windows, and I feel confident that more will be coming in the future. Would I have like to seen it run everything right from the start, of course, but I know that's not releasable given the state of software development at this time.

To me it's worth the savings of $10 or $40 (depending on if you bought the pre-release upgrade or you drop the whole product now, since it doesn't run the game it didn't run before anyway, when it finally does). I can still continue to boot my machine into windows when I want to run a game that doesn't work, but as the list grows I will have to do that less often, which is worth $10.00 to me now.

As the for marketing ploy of "Run all the hotest games" - of course what are they going to say "Run some games"? That's not how marketing works, you always promise the moon, so that people will buy the product, but it's still up to the purchaser to do his/her research to see if that product will actually perform the function the purchaser want's to do. If you don't then you deserve what you get.

14. radesix

radesix Member

Using only a message forum with limited free-form text data entry capabilities is not an effective or proper way to solicit the defect information necessary to resolve issues.

The beta program could have been more effectively managed with a better tool. Using a message forum with free text doesn't offer the capabilities for organization and categorization to effectively support a large amount of feedback.

Developers need to be able to categorize reported issues according to specific criteria to better plan, manage, and track defect resolution and testing.

Extracting those details out of countless message postings is impossible.

15. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

I just Installed VMWare Fusion Beta 4. And guess what... it runs Windows from my BootCamp partition! Parallels can't do it!

16. raka

raka Junior Member

You're wrong. Parallels boots fine from Bootcamp Partitions.

17. crag

crag Member

Using XP? How'd you get by Microsoft WPA? Also I could not boot into Windows (using Boot Camp) once I allowed Paralles at it.

18. brakki

brakki Bit poster

Conversely, one could wait said 6 months and use VMWare Fusion, which will probably be more featured and stable, not to mention free.

Fusion impressed a lot more than the latest Parallels.

19. dippyskoodlez

dippyskoodlez Bit poster

Then do it :mad:

If its such a pile of crap, get your money back and go try fusion. I'm not gonna stop you.

20. po_ru

po_ru Bit poster

I'm disappointed

OK. I bought the SW. I believed the:
    "New! Run today’s most popular PC games on a Mac with support for 3D graphics"

I did it because Parallels, until today, never had me doubt their integrity. They've been top-notch. The developers...Kudos to you. Damn, you're real good. Marketing people...You just ruined it for the developers and us.

To the fan-boys (and girls) good for you for supporting your favorite team, but you should also say something to this Marketing group, as well. What they did (and still are doing) isn't right. They've reverted to "court-room" speech, not a lie...but not the truth, either.

I'll keep my SW upgrade...but you won't find me talking so "enthusiastically" to others about this SW.

...yeah, I'm disappointed. Parallels just became another SW company with sleazy Marketing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.