Parallels Desktop 4 Video Card Issues

Harvey

Bit poster
Hello guys,

Im new to the word of Mac's and even more so to the world of parallels.

So sorry if i come across a little dumb here :-).

I have an Imac 24", 2.8Gb Intel Core Duo, with 4GB of RAM and a ATI HD 2600 PRO 256MB.

After doing some research i have found that if i want to play games on my MAC, Boot Camp is clearly the way forward. At the moment i only have one copy of Windows XP Pro so will have to wait until i can get another copy and license to run Boot Camp. So any modern releases are a pretty much no go. But looking at compatibility i should be able to run games such as Half Life 2. But i keep getting error messages like: cmeshDx8::LockVertexBuffer.

I have read some up on some posts and made sure i have assigned more than enough hardware to Parallels and the 3D support tick box in configuration is also checked. So i am rather confused. Surely my Mac has enough power to handle HL2? Knowing me i am probably missing something rather minor.

Guys if you could help shed any light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harvey :-)
 
Hello John,

Hope your well buddy,

Thanks for your reply, Half Life 2 is listed on there? I forgot to mention that on my previous post, i had already looked at the compatible games list on the site. This is what added to my confusion about it not working.

Any other suggestions mate?

Cheers


Harvey :-)
 
Yep, I see it out there,
So, steps to check:
1. Did you install custom video driver
2. Did you install DirextX9, if yes you need to uninstall it and reinstall Parallels Tools
 
Kewl :-).

1. I haven't installed any customer video drivers. I didn't think this was possible because when checking display setting in XP it just says: "Parallels Video Adapter" So assumed it was using the drivers installed on the Mac. As far as i am aware they are right up to date.

2. How would i install Directx9? Lol apologies for my naivety. I instaled windows XP service pack one, Then installed Service Pack 3, and ran windows update. Would this be the problem?

I have ran a direct x test using, Run: Dxdiag, it says everything is enabled and the tests run fine.
 
Sorted it!!!! My fault, i had allocated all 250mb of video RAM to Parallels. I turned it down to 180Mb and it works fine no bother.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers John :-)
 
Back
Top