Parallels desktop 8 network problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Koen.H, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Koen.H

Koen.H Bit poster

Hi,

I have upgraded my parallels desktop 7 to version 8 and there is a big problem with networking.
    The virtual machine in v8 had problems when accessing the network, not able to connect to network nodes, pinging network nodes failed, while the same VM in V7 had no problems at all.
    I had 4 network adapters, all used in different subnets.

Reverting back to V7 fixed the problem so it is definitely a V8 problem.
    For me V8 is useless:(

Kind regards,

Koen Hoefkens

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Strange, there were no significant changes on Networking side and we have no any reports about problems like that.

I'd appreciate if you could do the next:

Please make sure that you are using Shared Networking. Then click Start -> Run and execute cmd.exe. Type in the appeared window command "ipconfig /all" (make sure that all output fits to the window). Then, without closing the window, click Parallels Destkop menu "Help"->"Report a Problem", send a problem report (it is not necessary to provide description) and post here the report ID.

If this will not give us any hint about what's going on on your machine we could do the WebEx if you don't mind.

3. ScottF1843857

ScottF1843857 Bit poster

Hi,

I just installed Parallels 8 after installing Mountain Lion, and my virtual machine cannot connect to the internet connection either. If you have a solution, please be detailed with your instructions as I am not an expert at computer settings and locations, thank you.
    Scott

4. RWTech

RWTech Junior Member

something to check

Be sure your network connection is "bridged" (this is the only connection I've found to give me the results I need!)

from the menu-> Devices -> Network 1-> Bridged Network -> Ethernet.

Just a suggestion! :)

5. ScottF1843857

ScottF1843857 Bit poster

Yes, I just tried that and it still isn't working. Any ideas??

6. ScottF1843857

ScottF1843857 Bit poster

I just changed devices>network1>bridged network to Airport and it's working now.
    thanks

7. lorsocorso

lorsocorso Bit poster

Bridged Mode Networking in Version 8

This is also a problem for me. I require a bridged network and it will not grab a DHCP address. I have tried regenerating the MAC address as well as using "send from host" option. This was never a problem in version 6 or 7. Using a shared connection works but this is not acceptable for my purposes as I need to connect directly to IPs on the local network. This has now happened on multiple different networks and routers.

Please advise.

8. EdwinM

EdwinM Bit poster

Same Problem

Same problem.

I just submitted a report: 20646499

I just recommended Parallels to two colleagues. Now I have egg on my face.

9. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, it looks like you have upgraded your Windows XP to Windows 8. It is needed to reinstall Parallels Tools after that.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please try the following:
    Shutdown the VM and go to Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> Boot Order, Boot flags field. Enter the line
    "devices.net.dhcp_use_host_mac=0" without quotes. Then Boot the VM and check whether it helps. If it doesn't, try change 0 to 1.
    If all this doesn't help, then it seems that you are out of luck and it is impossible to make Bridged work in your environment.

11. EdwinM

EdwinM Bit poster

Problem solved

I tried the The Boot Order command in several iterations and different options with no success. Later I discovered it was not necessary.

It turns out that this was operator error - my apologies.

The new Windows 8 UI and my unfamiliarity with it was the problem.

I decided to try installing the parallel tools for the nth time.

Select Virtual Machine -> Reinstall Parallel Tools:
    - If I was not logged into Windows, nothing happens (I guess it worked or did it? I couldn't tell if Windows 8 or the new parallels was magically installing it in the background... or doing nothing. I assumed it worked.)
    - If I was logged in, and before Windows had done it's, validation step to make sure I was a legit customer, I would see a box flash up in the upper right hand corner saying something about a device/drive. I ignored the box and the box would go away (I assumed it must be some kind of notification that it found a device).
    - Wrong! I needed to click that box! When I did click the on the box the option to run or copy or... the Windows program comes up. I clicked on run the program option and it finally install the tools!
    - I noticed that once the tools are installed, running the Reinstall Parallel Tools again does not bring up that device box it just does it.

Selecting Network 1 -> Bridged Network -> Wi-Fi worked.

Problem solved. So make sure you see activity (downloading files, running installation) when doing the Reinstall Parallel Tools action.

Again, my apologies.

12. andmarf

andmarf Bit poster

I'm having trouble getting an internet connection. Here is the report id: 29022149
    Thanks!

13. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, Unfortunately, the output of ipconfig didn't fit into the screenshot in the problem report. But looking into other information, I suggest you to check proxy settings at windows side. It should be the same as on Mac OS.

Also, make sure that in "ipconfig /all" the default gateway is 10.211.55.1 (not 0.0.0.0)