Parallels Desktop and Windows Vista Service Pack 1

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Xenos, Feb 6, 2008.

1. IanJS

IanJS Junior Member

Yes I always shutdown as a "Start - Shutdown".

As for Vista updates, I never installed any Vista update again within a parallels vm, only in a native boot. If there are any Windows updates available, I'll shut down in the parallels vm and reboot the Mac and Vista from BootCamp before installing any updates.

After my bad experience of installing the SP1 update in the parallels, I won't dare do it again.

Anyhow, it's working now but I always travel with the Vista disk in case repairs are needed.

2. edarodriguez

edarodriguez Bit poster

Has this problem been solved yet or is there a different workaround?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

We are investigating problem still

4. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

Xp Sp3

My Boot Camp partition is now running XP SP3 successfully. However, even after re-installing Parallels 5608 for Mac (Tiger), I can't get a VM to run.

This sounds like the same issue as in this thread.

Are there any fixes forthcoming?

5. John@Parallels

Configuration Editor - Hard Disk 1-Advanced -click Clear
    Note you need to reactivate Windows XP

6. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

>Configuration Editor - Hard Disk 1-Advanced -click Clear

I don't understand what you mean. "Configuration Editor" is what? On the Mac? In Parallels? In Windows? Plist editor?

>Note you need to reactivate Windows XP

Now, this I understood. :)

What I did to solve my issue was to remove all updates since XP SP3 and then remove SP3. I then re-created a VM in side of Parallels.

My summary: Tiger Mac 10.4.11, Parallels 5608, BootCamp 1.4 (or something like that), running Windows XP SP3 via BootCamp.

7. oalessa

oalessa Bit poster

I have a solution.

It works for me and I hope it will work for all the unfortunate ones who installed SP1 for Vista.

My problem is exactly the same as IanJS problem.

The solution is very simple. Uninstall SP1.

Yes it is that simple. Just uninstall SP1 and get rid of it for good and your Vista will run much better (faster) under Parallels. And most important, it will run again normaly from Boot Camp.

Here is the uninstall step by step for dummies.

Boot up with Leopard, and open Parallels, Vista should start normally.

1. From start go to Control panel>Programs and features
    2. Click on View Installed Updates
    3. Highlight Vista Service Pack from the list on the right.
    4. Click Uninstall from the toolbar above the list.
    5. The uninstallation process will start and might take a long time (20-40 minutes) so please be patient.
    6. You will get a message asking to restart. Click restart.
    7. The uninstallation process will finalize during shutting down. It will last a long time, so be patient.
    8. Vista will restart. Login as normal. Then shutdown. Quit Parallels. Shutdown Leopard.
    9. Start Mac and boot Vista in bootcamp.
    10. After you login in Vista, you might see a message that you can not use Vista due to a change in hardware/software. Press close. Vista will go back to login window. Shut down Vista then sart again. Boot in Vista from bootcamp.
    11. After you login in Vista, you might be asked to revalidate your Vista so have your product key ready.
    12. Vista will boot normally after you finish validation successfully.

Congratulations. Enjoy.

8. peckish

peckish Bit poster

Vista with preinstalled SP1

I've used Parallels for a couple of years now (with XP). Upgraded to Vista the other day, I unfortunately bought the preinstalled SP1 version. I have the same issues as above BSOD after VM pause. Pls advice what to do? I use Mac 10.4.11 (no bootcamp) and Parallels 3.0 (5608).

Cheers,

Magnus

9. John@Parallels

Try to disconnect USB drivers from VM before suspend

10. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

hi all! is this fixed yet? my pure vista environment under PD in Leopard is wanting to update itself to SP1. I am running Ultimate, if that makes any difference. thx.

11. John@Parallels

If there where no BSOD before it will not be, anyway you can backup VM before upgrade

12. ncriptide

ncriptide Junior Member

I don't have boot camp - only Parallels 4.0 (which I installed 2 days ago). I went into Windows Vista and it did an update - I'm not sure which, but think it was a service pack. Now I get the missing or corrupt file ntoskrnl.exe, and don't know where to go from here.

Can someone pleeeeese talk to me like you are talking to a rock and give me step-by-step instructions on what to do from here? Do not know how to, as the error message suggests, and start up from my windows cd at this point.

13. mjbanks

mjbanks Bit poster

I'm having similar problems with XP SP3. Very unhappy with Parallels right now

14. John@Parallels

Update was published , which is right now available at http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=31764
    The most of problem were fixed.
    Please navigate to that link, and download build 3540
    In post there are various instructions, how to fix problems.

15. Macaby

Macaby Member

I can't add much to this thread. Shortly after I got my MB about a year ago, I installed Parallels 3.0 and then installed Vista Home Premium. Sometime after that event, SP1 installed on my system (automatic?) and Vista has continued to run fine. When Parallels 4.0 came out, I upgraded and my Vista SP1 continues to run fine every time I go to the Windows side of my system.

While it's not germane to this thread, I have a Windows state of the art desktop running Vista Ultimate that will NOT install SP1 and I've tried at least 10 times.

16. John@Parallels

You can try to run downloaded version of Service Pack 1 from Microsoft

17. wad11656

wad11656 Bit poster

Thank you for fixing Vista SP1. I believe it deserves a big thank you!

18. dylanharris

dylanharris Member

What about Vista SP2?

Any thoughts? I'm not sure I dare try it without a comment from Parallels.

19. keabird

keabird Bit poster

Vista SP2

I also want to know if Vista SP2 is supported, and if not is there any time table for supporting it?

20. Kris G

Kris G Member

I opened separate threat on that subject. I did update to Vista SP2 (bootcamp) and while I got message from Parallels 4 that the version is not supported, I have not encountered problems so far. However, it was just me, you might not be that lucky. I also hope that the official update will be available soon.

Kris