Parallels Desktop disables iSight Camera on Macbook Pro with OS X Sierra

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BorisP1, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

It should work in Parallels 13. Please send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send technical data) if it doesn't and post here the report number.

The problem is in Mac OS. It breaks the FaceTime Camera as soon as any non-standard USB driver is loaded. Parallels 13 doesn't load its helper USB-driver anymore until you choose to connect some real USB device to VM.

2. ShengtingL

ShengtingL Bit poster

Thanks for the information. Now it works for me.

3. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

Really blame the Mac OS macs are built to run Apple designed hardware. I am amazed that Parallels that can't use Apple USB drivers and yes I have loaded helper USB driver actually I was prompted during the upgrade process to load it. Sure I can open a ticket yet again I have opened more than one ticket on this issue with every release of Parallels 10. With no permanent fix from Parallels

4. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

Elric I have opened a ticket 2438208 for all the good that will do but here you go..

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

@GlennThomas, please rest assured that we do not blame anyone or trying to shed all responsibility to 3rd-party. This issue happens on a particular Mac model (MacBook Pro 10,1) and other virtualization solutions are struggling from the same situation (https://communities.vmware.com/thread/543443?start=0&tstart=0).

6. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

Ok it happens on a late 2010 MacBook Air (3,2), a Mid 2012 MacBook Air (5,2) a 2015 MacBook Pro so its more that one model that has this issue.. I am just saying check your facts. I have been going around and around with support opening tickets on this for a few years, I get wait until this release or this update comes out and it is NEVER FIXED. If your developers can't figure it out just come clean and say so..

7. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

Once again another passing the buck from Parallels its never your problem for the last three years that I know of. If I could get away from using your product I would, but I am paying for your product finding bugs in it opening tickets and getting at best mediocre support. I am just saying as a customer I am getting to the end of my patience on this issue.

ShengtingL likes this.
  8. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

@GlennThomas, this is not something that Parallels Desktop Engineering team is able to fix on their own. We have an amazing team of professionals, but we develop a third-party app for macOS, we can't cross that boundary of our possibilities in host OS. We did improve this scenario on PD13 though, as @Elric stated,
    we have changed the logic of loading corresponding kernel extension on Parallels Desktop start - in version 13 (unlike version 12) we do not load USB driver upon the application start, but on demand (only when you want to use shared camera or a USB device in a virtual machine). This helps to avoid many situations of unexpected camera loss on macOS.

Regarding the fact that this issue happens on other Mac models apart from MacBook Pro 10,1, we need to take a look. Our Second Line Support Team will contact you shortly to investigate it.

ShengtingL likes this.
  9. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

I have this issue on three different macs that I listed I have opened tickets each time I find it.

10. KirkS1

KirkS1 Bit poster

I am having a similar issue on an older, 2009 MacBook Pro running MacOS Sierra.
    I tried the replug_facetime util, but it failed to recognize my camera.
    The "list of USB devices" identified my camera as "Built-in iSight" " instead of as "FaceTime HD Camera".
    Is it possible to get an update to the replug_facetime util, to handle older computers like mine ?
    Or, would Parallels consider releasing the source code under an Open Source License, like GPL ?

11. NikolayA1

NikolayA1 Bit poster

12. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, could you please send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send a technical data) and post here its number?
    No need to reproduce, just send a problem report. We need to know hardware model and characteristics of camera.

13. AussieWoji

AussieWoji Bit poster

I have a Mid 2012 MacBook Air (5,2) with macOS High Sierra and Parallels 13 latest version. This did not start for me until this combination of macOS and Parallels. Also, I can run the workaround and then use FaceTime but if I quit FaceTime the camera is broken again, without running Parallels. The supposed improvement in PD13 is not working for me.

14. KirkS1

KirkS1 Bit poster

Hi Elric, I "fixed" my problem by using a Hex editor to modify the replug_facetime utility program.
    I changed the Search text string from "facetime" to " isight " and then changed the printed message from "FaceTime camera" to "iSight camera "
    I have to run this utility first, anytime that I want to use my Built-in iSight camera for a FaceTime or Skype call, etc. but it works for me :)
    My computer is a mid-2009 Macbook Pro5,3 15" Core2 Duo, 2.8GHz, 8GB Ram, running macOS 10.12.6 (I saw the same problem with macOS 10.11)

Before I run the modified replug_facetime utility, my camera is Not identified in the System Report, but after I run the utility, it does find the camera and identifies it as follows :
    Built-in iSight
    Model ID: UVC Camera VendorID_1452 ProductID_34055
    Unique ID: 0x2440000005ac8507

When I run the replug_facetime utility, it identifies the camera as : 0x24400000 Built-in iSight

With the modification that I listed above, the program "replugs" the device so that it works properly, at least until I reboot the computer.

Regards,
    Kirk

15. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi, please send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Send a technical data) and post here its number

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Thank you for the data!