Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3036 Beta is available for download.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wangooroo

wangooroo Junior Member

Other activation woes

I have had to reactivate so many times that MS has now responded saying they will not reactivate.

There is a limit to the number of times you can activate a license.

This needs to get fixed ASAP. currently I'm stuck.

2. waffffffle

waffffffle Bit poster

forced network share mount

I tried transitioning Parallels from my MacBook Pro to my new Mac Pro. I installed the new beta on my Mac Pro and mounted my home folder from my MacBook Pro and opened some of the virtual machines. After realizing that was a bad idea I copied the virtual machines over but the VMs on my MacBook Pro are still showing up and when Parallels launches it forces the mounting of the share. If MacBook Pro isn't on the network Parallels will not launch and instead hangs and I get 100% CPU utilization and often have to hard reboot my Mac.

I have tried deleting everything Parallels related from my home folder and while I can get it to ask me for my license key again it still shows me a list of VMs that includes VMs on another Mac and forces the mounting of that share. Where is this list stored? I need to delete it because Parallels won't launch unless all of those VMs are available.

Thanks.

3. maynard

maynard Member

XP Dead

I installed the BC Tools and tried booting my BC Image in VM under Mac and I get no mouse.

What is worse is now my BC image won't boot past the Boot.INI screen !!!

Anyone got any ideas ?

MG

4. maynard

maynard Member

iSight webcam toast in 3036

Just a note.... I no longer have the iSight webcam in my XP VM where it used to work after I upgraded t the BETA.

I reinstalled the Mac Driver Disk and no help. System Hardware Mgr shows no issues or no iSight...

Anyone know how to fix this ?

MG

5. rcharles67@yahoo.com

rcharles67@yahoo.com Bit poster

Is an Uninstall of current 1970 build required before installing build 3036

Hello All,

I am relatively new to the world of Parallels, I currently have Release build 1970 installed, do I have to perform an uninstall before installing build 3036? Any help would be appreciated. Kudos for a great product.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

There's no need to uninstall before upgrading. Be sure to upgrade Parallels tools after you install the later version, and be sure to back up your VM in case you want to go back. Uninstalling, using the uninstall that came with the beta would probably be a good idea if you want to revert.

7. bcohen44

bcohen44 Bit poster

no Vista for Bootcamp & VM?

I have the Vista MSDN release, and I am assuming I cannot use both Parallels VM with a Vista Bootcamp install on this 3036 beta release, correct? Only WinXP SP2.

8. luomat

luomat Hunter

Currently Apple does not support Vista for BootCamp IIRC, so it would be a bit iffy even if you could get it to work.

TjL

9. vinneh

vinneh Member

CAN SOMEONE IN SUPPORT PLEASE ADDRESS THIS ISSUE?
    sorry for the yelling but its really important to us :p

10. Pegasusrjf

Pegasusrjf Bit poster

Issues with Bootcamp

I have a Windows XP SP2 installation that was done via Bootcamp.

Since then I deleted the EFI partition so that I could install earlier versions of Vista during my beta testing of Vista.

As a result it looks like Parallels doesn't see the partition I have for XP SP2.

The partition is NTFS, but the bootcamp option is grayed out.

Any ideas?

11. bemaniac

bemaniac Junior Member

So I'm having an interesting problem... not sure if this has been fixed:

I set up Parallels to use my Windows XP Boot Camp partition. I re-activated and everything works great.

I then try to boot into Boot Camp, and at the screen where it asks me to pick between "Parallels" and "Windows XP", I can't press up or down or enter or anything!

Help?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  12. jkt

jkt Bit poster

I have been able to set up Parallels and use a Windows XP Boot Camp partition. The problem is that Windows is very slow - much slower than with Windows on my Mac partition. I don't remember seeing any comment on this in the forums.
    Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks.

13. toddrooke

toddrooke Bit poster

blackmac,

I've had this issue on my Core 2 Duo MBP and I've managed to get it to work by cycling the power a few times. One time I resorted to holding the option key down while turning the power on and manually selecting Windows as the startup volume. It seems that the keyboard doesn't just isn't reliably registering to the Windows OS. Hope this helps.

Todd

14. toddrooke

toddrooke Bit poster

I've had the same experience. I would have expected the native disk access to be faster than a virtual drive. The only thing I could assume here is that build 3036 has a load of debug code running in the proces that is handling the native disk access given that this is the first build with this capability. I anticipate that this will be resolved over the next few builds when they stabilize this feature.

Todd

15. toddrooke

toddrooke Bit poster

I had to completely uninstall and re-install a few times after I converted my BootCamp Windows partition to NTFS before Parallels was finally able to recognize and boot the BootCamp Windows instance. If it begins to recognize it in the virtual machine config, but fails to boot to it, continue with the full un-install/re-install option with OSX restarts in between. This worked for me and I hope it will work for you as well. Good luck.

Todd

16. toddrooke

toddrooke Bit poster

My best advice here is to have the XP BootCamp partition be the third partition, because I can only imagine that Parallels development team may have hard coded this for now to reduce the number of variables. I would also imagine that this is not included in their current use cases (or test cases for that matter). If this is the case, their wouldn't be any code to accomodate this.

It would be really useful to get a response from Parallels on this before you go spend a load of time backing up, repartitioning, and restoring these two partitions if the issue is more systemic and isn't expected to work. This is something I plan to do as well, but would personally prioritize some other features before this one.

Todd

17. prescor

prescor Bit poster

BSOD woes too

Hi there,

I just downloaded the 3036 beta to a Mac Mini that has been set up to dual-boot MacOS and Windows using Boot Camp. The Windows partition is roughly half the drive, formatted NTFS.

I followed the posted instructions and installed the Parallels update/tools in BootCamp. Then I rebooted to the Mac, set up for BootCamp, fired it up and chose "Parallels Configuration" on both screens. The gray progress bar shoots across the screen and then I get a BSOD I've never seen before:

-----
    A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for Viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP ---------a bunch of HEX on one line.
    -----

Boot Camp continues to work just fine. I'm using ReFIt, but it doesn't seem that that should have anything to do with this.

Help?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  18. VLMaples

VLMaples Bit poster

Updating tools after installing build 3036

I'm feeling rather foolish, but how do I reinstall the correct tools for the most recent build? I can't find it within parallels, on the virtual drive, or on the CD-ROM. I know it's there, but I don't remember where.

Sorry for the stupid question...

Valerie
    running Parallels build 3036 data on an Intel Core 2 duo iMac
    virtual machine running Windows XP Pro, 1024 RAM, 50GB hard drive

19. Junyor

Junyor Junior Member

@VLMaples: In the Parallels menu, choose Actions > Install Parallels Tools.

20. VLMaples

VLMaples Bit poster

Thanks a bunch!

I knew it had to be simple; just too tired to see it, I guess.

I heard off list that there was now a way to use the same keystrokes for cut and paste instead of switching to control+; is this true and how do I enable it, then?

Thanks for the help; it is greatly appreciated!
    Valerie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.