Parallels Desktop for Mac internal build 1966 is ready for download

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Oct 27, 2006.

1. dmgwork

dmgwork Member

Faster networking

Which networking option is the fastest. I am running several client server applications, and I have noticed the performance is very slow on parallels compared to other pc's is one type of networking option significantly faster than another?

I am currently using bridged ethernet; Default Adapter

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  2. sandau

sandau Member

well, i have an issue with 1966 this morning.

had previously installed the 'tools' worked fine for a couple of days, today i turned on the machine (from suspended mode) and it gave me the famous "your tools are incompatible with the version" error. At which time I decided to try to reinstall them, but it came up with the dialog "are you sure you want to completely remove the components" instead. No installation available. Tried again and it said there is no disk in D: drive.

rebooting...

3. KBrack

KBrack Junior Member

Enter Key Still Sending AltGr

The networking changes in 1966 seem to be working great and I'm very happy for them. I've often had problems going from the our wired network to wireless via VPN here in the office. My initial testing is showing this working as advertised.

I was also excited to see that the Enter key behavior was fixed. However, nothing seems to have changed on my machine, I still get the AltGr when I use the numeric keypad Enter key. I've turned the keypad on and off using the clear key with no luck.

I also use TradeKeys, a utility that lets me re-map the keyboard to swap the Alt and Windows keys so they match the Mac's Command and Option. I've removed all mapping there and the enter key is still sending the AltGr. (When TradeKeys remapping is running, the Enter key acts as the Windows key -- as expected.)

Any ideas on what's going on? Andrew mentioned using a keyboard configuration file to change the Enter key behavior. Have I (or TradeKeys) got something messed up there?

Any help on how to troubleshoot would be much appreciated!

4. pfoxhoven

pfoxhoven Bit poster

Usb

Any fixes/enhancements to USB in this release? Any chance of a Blackberry 87XX working in the VM for this release?

5. xochi

xochi Member

Leftover network adapters?

After upgrading to 1966 and choosing "Shared Networking", if I open my Mac System Prefs/ Networking panel, I see two adapters: a "Parallels Host-Guest" set to 10.37.129.2 and a "Parallels NAT" set to 10.211.55.2.

Can I delete either of these if I simply want to use "Shared Networking"?

thx

6. drjamesh

drjamesh Junior Member

1966 installed without incident. Dragon Sys. naturally speaking 9.0 still does not boot for me. 1928 was the last version that did.

Thanks for working hard on these versions. Keep it up.

Jim

...With 1966...DNS 9.0 still won't run.

7. mcg

mcg Hunter

xochi, you can supposedly delete the Host-Guest adapter, but there's really no point in doing it, and it will be reinstalled the next time you upgrade. If you don't like looking at it, select "Network Port Configurations" in the "Show:' drop-down box and uncheck it.

8. sneeka2

sneeka2 Bit poster

Too bad the new Express Install Wizard expects a physical CD to install from. I don't really want to burn the latest Vista RC2 onto a DVD just for installing it in Parallels. What about allowing install from an image too?

Other than that, Parallels works great, a real life saver for me! :)

9. luz

luz Member

Hello "serv",

Many thanks for the explanation for "shared networking". :) :)

It does not completely satisfy me because internet sharing is not location aware. I'm switching locations on my MBP frequently and NAT following that would be nice.

My only question: Would "shared networking" work with a fully static setup (static IP configuration in the guests, and a fixed 10.x.x.x IP assignment for en3)?

The only dynamic IP I have is the address on the physical interface to the outside (Ethernet, AirPort, Modem..).

Another techie question: can pvsnatd act as DNS forwarder, so that I can set the en3 IP as gateway address AND as DNS address in static guest setups?

10. palter

palter Hunter

Thanks for posting a more succinct form of my original question. (Right now, I'm doing this with IPNetRouterX although I haven't tested access via modem, EVDO, etc.)

11. serv

serv Forum Maven

luz,

pvsnatd does act as DNS forwarder. If you are assigning addresses statically on 10.211.55.xxx 10.211.55.1 is your DHCP server, DNS and gateway. NOTE: do _not_ assign DNS and gateway manually to Mac en3 interface!
    Still, I see no point in static address assignment, as our DHCP service now keeps track of all leases through reboots. This means that DHCP assigned addresses are stable enough.

12. palter

palter Hunter

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try when my new MBP C2D arrives. :)

As to why you'd want to assign static IPs, it just makes setting up /etc/hosts (or equivalents) easier.

13. tangential

tangential Member

Help, Still looking for shared folders.....

OK. I've done a second reboot and no change. I did a reboot after I did the install (see above.)

I notice that I have another adapter now in ifconfig -a. I gained the en4 adapter, but it is not configured.

Here is the output of an ifconfig -a:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::216:cbff:fe8b:d06b%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 10.80.8.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.80.8.255
    ether 00:16:cb:8b:d0:6b
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:14:51:ec:f6:53
    media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect
    wlt1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
    fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:4a:ec:84
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::201:23ff:fe45:6789%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    ether 00:01:23:45:67:89
    media: autoselect status: active
    en4: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:10:32:54:76:98
    media: <unknown type>
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::216:cbff:fe8b:d06b%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
    inet 10.80.8.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.80.8.255
    ether 00:16:cb:8b:d0:6b
    media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>) status: active
    supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:14:51:ec:f6:53
    media: autoselect (<unknown type>) status: inactive
    wlt1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
    fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
    lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:4a:ec:84
    media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
    supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    inet6 fe80::201:23ff:fe45:6789%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
    inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
    ether 00:01:23:45:67:89
    media: autoselect status: active
    en4: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 00:10:32:54:76:98
    media: <unknown type>

What now?

Thanks,
    John

14. luz

luz Member

Ok, but am I allowed to assign the en3 IP address / netmask myself (like 10.44.0.22/16 instead of 10.211.55.xxx/24)? If so, what will be the DHCP/DNS/gateway? 10.44.0.1 or 10.44.0.22 in the example above?
    (In host-only networking, it works fine to set an IP/mask for en2 - with Apple internet sharing, the en2 IP then becomes the gateway for the VMs)

That's fine. However, this is a developer's setup - I have various client-server stuff going on between my various VMs and the Mac, so I need a subnet with IPs that NEVER change (except when I change them by hand). Anything involving DHCP is not stable enough for that.

15. Silaxe

Silaxe Bit poster

VPN issue with 1966 in Shared Networking mode

First of all, thanks for the shared networking feature which is a great addition and works well.

I have noticed however that if I try to run my VPN software (AT&T global connect), the connection times out and I get and IPSEC error message. The VPN connection works fine however when I am in Bridged mode but I cannot always in that mode hence my problem.

Can anyone help? Parallels?

Thanks - Silaxe

16. gapd

gapd Bit poster

One small 1966 fix

The previous build included validation key purchase links to an unsecure page on the Nova Development site. 1966 fixes that by linking to a secure external vendor site.

Not a big deal, unless you buy a key under a previous build an don't realize your waving your credit card around in cyberspace.

17. scottdelap

scottdelap Junior Member

I've rebooted. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and rebooting again. The shared networking option is still grayed out. Suggestions.

18. sayler

sayler Bit poster

Thank You So Much

I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks -- this build enables me to share my CiscoVPN connection w/ an XP session for the first time. The upshot is that I can now do testing in IE6 w/o having to bounce my VPN session.

THANK YOU :)

19. serv

serv Forum Maven

tangential,

Hmm... Parallels NAT adapter has not been configured in your case. The easiest fix is to open Mac System Preferences / Network and configure the new interface (en4 in your case) with suggested defaults (IPv4 using DHCP).

scottdelap,

Please open Mac System Preferences / Network and configure the new interface (en3) with suggested defaults (IPv4 using DHCP).

luz,

Yes, you're allowed to assign en3 IPv4 settings yourself. But let me repeat, do not assign DNS or gateway (router) to en3.
    Now, if you change the subnet to 10.44.0.0/16 you'll probably want to change pvsnatd settings to work on this subnet too. Open Parallels/Preferences/DHCP and change DHCP scope for Shared Networking accordingly. You should choose scope start/end addresses so that the range doesn't include your statically assigned addresses. Note also that pvsnatd creates a virtual host on this subnet (that acts as DHCP/DNS/gateway) and always assigns it the first address of the subnet - 10.44.0.1 in your case. This is different from Mac Internet Sharing where the Mac itself is the gateway.

jbrowdy and Silaxe,

Shared networking does have issues with VPN software running in the VM. We are aware of the problem. You'd want to use Bridged mode if you intend to run VPN client in the guest.

20. tangential

tangential Member

Shared Networking Now works

Thanks, that did it.

Just curious, any idea why is it en4 instead of en3?