Parallels Desktop is unable to access the virtual hard disk image file

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by Christine K., Sep 22, 2008.

1. Christine K.

Christine K. Bit poster

One of the computers is getting this message whenever the user is trying to open Parallels. She is on a Mac G4 using Tiger OSX 10.4. I'm not certain how to fix this problem. Can someone make any suggestions? We need to get this working so she can access another software through our company server.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You cannot install Parallels Desktop on PPC based Macs
    Only on Intel Based

3. Christine K.

Christine K. Bit poster

Sorry. We all HAVE a G5 with an Intel chip in it. And Parallels was working before but now it's decided not to and I need it to so we can access our Axapta software on the PC side. We were using the Parallels to access our e-mail server until it was upgraded recently so we can now use Entourage instead.

Thanks for your help!

4. John@Parallels

5. Christine K.

Christine K. Bit poster

How do you do that? She can't get into Parallels at all.

6. John@Parallels

7. Christine K.

Christine K. Bit poster

I still haven't heard back about what to do. Does anyone else have any ideas?

8. John@Parallels

Did you create ticket?

9. Christine K.

Christine K. Bit poster

I did a search on how to create a ticket and it gave me a link but the link didn't have the options I needed to select for my Parallels and it's number. I filled it out the best I could (had to do a snapshot of my form because it wouldn't accept the info that I had) and submitted it by e-mail.

10. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

Most probably the user is trying to open Parallels with a link broken, or he/she has moved the folder of the virtual machine (which contains the hard drive) and Parallels Desktop now can't find it.

Please, try the following:

create new machine and mount .hdd file (which is machine's hard drive) to it from the "old" virtual machine:

- run Parallels Desktop (Finder -> Applicatons -> Parallels. Press and hold Apple button immediately after double-clicking on Parallels Desktop's icon).
    - See the PD menu at the top of the screen -> File -> Press "New" button and follow the Wizard.
    In the first window, please, select Custom installation type.
    - When asked to choose between Create a new hard disk image or Use an existing hard disk image, please choose Use an existing hard disk image.
    - When asked to select a hard disk image file specify a path to it (by default it is - User -> Documents -> Parallels -> Windows XP (or Windows Vista) -> If the machine is XP, than a disk should be called like winxp.hdd, if Vista - then winvista.hdd).
    - If there is no .hdd there, try to search for it in Finder's Spotlight.
    - Clear "Start Windows installation" checkbox before clicking on "Finish".
    - Start the machine