Parallels Desktop on External Drive? How?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PaulC30, Sep 22, 2023.

1. PaulC30

PaulC30 Junior Member

Does anyone have any tips for running Parallels Desktop on External Drive?

I am a Mac M1 Max user and would like a small Windows Parallels set up, but would prefer this to be on an External drive as I wouldn't be using it every day.
    I have heard that this is now a thing, and that its possible to do this, say with an external SSD drive?

Are there any walkthroughs on doing this, does Windows also reside on the External drive?

Any help would be great before I try the PD19 demo.
    thanks

2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Yep, the steps are pretty simple:
    1. Create a Windows virtual machine (VM).
    2. Shut down Windows (Actions > Shut down).
    3. Locate the virtual machine file as outlined at https://kb.parallels.com/117333.
    4. Move the .pvm file of the VM to the external drive (just copy/paste it).
    5. Double-click the .pvm file on your external drive to register it in Parallels Desktop Control Center.
    It's done!
    Note: don't forget to shut down Windows before unplugging the drive from your Mac since it might cause the corruption of the VM (since if the VM is running and you unplug the drive from your Mac, it results in the interrupted I/O operations of the virtual hard drive).

VinhN1 likes this.
  3. PaulC30

PaulC30 Junior Member

Ok thanks, so are you saying to create a normal Parallels Desktop on the main drive and move it afterwards instead of doing this direct to an exteranl drive?

Secondly I think Windows XP is no longer supported? and its just Windows 11 now? (I only need an old VM to use with my older Windows programs)

4. PaulC30

PaulC30 Junior Member

Bump anyone?

5. MatthewR20

MatthewR20 Most valuable person

Windows 11 is the only official version of windows supported on Apple Silicon Macs.

6. abc4

abc4 Bit poster

I want to do this but want to put it directly on the usb
    like go to installation assistant and click ubuntu for example and for it to download the files in the usb drive

7. NewtonL

NewtonL Bit poster

I copied the Windows .pvm file that has 52 GB to an external drive and deleted the original file. It's working, but the internal disk did not have free space increased by 52 GB. What happens?

8. MatthewR20

Did you empty the trash? Are you using Time Machine to back up the internal disk? Sometimes with Time Machine it will take up to 24 hours to free up space on an internal disk after deleting a file and emptying the trash.

9. NewtonL

NewtonL Bit poster

Only on the next day the space appeared. I had emptied the trash, restarted the system more than once and did not see the space increase. As you said, some cache should stick around for a while.
    But...
    After using it for a day, I put the Windows VM back on the main disk, because all Windows programs took a long time to start and even froze at times.
    Thanks

10. MatthewR20

What specific kind of external disk were you using?

11. NewtonL

NewtonL Bit poster

Hi Matthew
    It's a slow USB 3.0 disk - Seagate Expansion. I put XCode and some Adobe applications on it and run without problems. The dd command reports a transfer speed around 30MB/s ...

12. MatthewR20

I use a Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus in an OWC Enclosure and it works well.
    Screenshot 2024-05-27 at 11.46.40 PM.png

FernandoM12 likes this.
  13. DavidH49

DavidH49 Bit poster

Can this procedure be used to move an existing .pvm file from my macbook to an external drive?

14. LeRoi

LeRoi Hunter

You can try by copying the existing .PVM file to an external drive, right click on the moved .PVM file and select Open With Parallels and see if it works. 10 minutes of work and you'll have your answer.

15. GabrielE8

GabrielE8

This works for Parallels 19 and Windows 11. Had the same doubt and tried it this afternoon.